Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trends in home decor

My sign says "Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts!".

I like some aspects of the "industrial farmhouse" look (oxymoron) as it looks clean and simple. Currently, I am stuck on Scandinavian simple (my own term) - white or off white walls, light wood matte floors, pine furniture and lots of shades of blue though I think that might be called "coastal" right now. It seems classic to me and makes me feel calm. We had to figure out a "decor" for the kitchen we just remodeled and ended up with light wood oak floors, creamish/grayish stone counters, off white cabinetry and nickel hardware. Still trying to decide on the tile backsplash as that is another DIY project. It is hard to know what to spend hard-earned dollars on when we probably won't stay in this house for the long haul. The only sign I have is an old antique print belonging to DH's grandma that says "Give us this day our daily bread".

Yeesh. Manufactured trends which encourage the insecure to junk what they have and buy new crap. ("How about jewel tones? We haven't done that one in a few years...") Leave me out of it.

Nothing at all wrong with living in an attractive environment, but I have no interest in trends which inject materials and styles into spaces where they don't belong and -- worse -- which are declared passé arbitrarily. Ick.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I kind of get amused by the posts on craigslist or marketplace where someone posts their entire living room or kitchen or bedroom and say "ugh...I just want it all gone...make an offer and come get it" and you can tell it's all stuff within the last 8 mts to a year!
    The money that is spent! Crazy.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

The signs that really get to me are the ones that just say "Simplify". Does adding another knick knack really help?

When I think of trends in home decor, I think of "fashionable" debt, or more what I have been, (salvation/estate/hand me down) decorating.
    It is a place to sleep.

Our “farmhouse” (it’s a house, it’s on a farm...) has always been decorated mostly in a style we call “midcentury American attic” (stuff our parents and grandparents didn’t need anymore)with an overlay of “daycare/elementary school/summer camp/library”

lately it as been trending a little more “ikea” (cheap, practical, grand-dog friendly) and “a potter lives here”

our new new front door currently opens into an entry space with subfloor, drywall without trim, a bare lightbulb, a chair dh made from a cheap kit we got at Roses (low end department store) 25 years ago, a fake aged brass (plaster?) birdbath style fountain my grandparents bought in the 50’s(?) a cheap doormat from Meijer's, and two gorgeous benches handmade by my fil from a walnut tree felled on dh family farm. The concept of buy8ng coordinated “decor” is foreign to me.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The only decorations in our house are Pottery, glass and quilting items I have made, and DH’s gorgeous woodworking. Walls and floors always neutral. Every time we have sold a home we have almost nothing to do. Pack up some stuff in our relatively uncluttered spaces and our homes have sold quickly. Minimal is best in my book.

I think the most interesting and pleasing decor is the one a person constructs from the things he/she loves. Like a lot of you have said, the mass produced trendy stuff is just not something I like, and the fact that it is only meant to last till the next decorating trend comes along is crazy. I have two friends who were so caught up in the "Prim" look that it was almost laughable. New mass produced stuff made to look old and "primitive" when neither of them would step outside their house without their cell phones and GPS in the vehicle.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I blame Joanna Gaines (Fixer Upper host on HGTV). This trend has been on up here in the PacNW for quite some time.
    I agree. All her fixer uppers look exactly the same to me. They have a line now at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I like mid-century modern and had it in my townhouse, clean lines, little clutter. Then I moved with the hoarder parents and everything is hodgepodge of each of ours stuff. I was able to make the common areas presentable with a mix of modern and traditional. If my mother was well, she'd have all those signs, ugh. My very wealthy cousin just did a wall of her bedroom in ship lap as if she had discovered it. I'm sure that trend will pass soon or at least I hope it does. We did paint all the common areas two shades of grey before I realized grey was a thing.

Thread Information