Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA Testing & Surprise Sibling

DNA Testing & Surprise Sibling

Anyone else take a DNA test from ancestry or 23 and me and find out you have a half sibling? I am 63 and totally shocked. When my Dad went off to WW II he was casually dating my Mom and she dated others while he was away. They married when he got home. While in England he conceived a child. We have no clue if he ever knew about the child. I have a half sister. She contacted me as she is doing the family tree. She said her Mom mentioned it once and said she was in love with my Dad. She seems very nice. I sent her photos and the family history that I have.

Whoah, that is youuuuuuuge! Now that requires a trip to the U.K. Does she live anyplace interesting?

WE like to go to Europe so was thinking about visiting when there. However, she moved to Australia 3 years ago to a small town in bush country. My sister could care less and not sure how my brother feels.

I was adopted. I am torn with the DNA stuff out there. I am 53, and have always known I was adopted. My brother ( not bio) located his birth family, and it was not a positive thing. I tried to get a copy of my original birth certificate, and was unable. I'm not sure how much more I am willing to push????

A half-sister? Pretty exciting. Sad story, though.
    Maybe meet halfway in Hawaii?

Jane, not that sad because if he had married her neither I or the rest of my kids, sibs would be here)

My cousin was adopted and always wanted to know more about her father. Her birth mother has always been known to her. Her adopted mother was my dad's sister, and the birth mom was a cousin of theirs. The birth mom would never fess up to who the father was, or she wasn't sure.

Anyway, along came 23 & me....she found her father (deceased) and all his large family who live a Midwestern state. They were shocked and didn't know she existed. But they've welcomed her with open arms and are having a reunion next month.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

This is new to me. I had heard of Ancestry.com but never before '23&me'. What is the story on this site?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Same type of site.

That's an incredible discovery!

That gives me hope I may be able to track down a few missing nieces and nephews!

Thread Information