Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DNA Testing & Surprise Sibling

Bae, I hope you find some relatives! We have been emailing every night back and forth. It is fun. I am giving her all the information I have on my DAd's side of the family since she is doing the family tree and then she will share what she finds out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    goldensmom: My parents were married for 61 years. After my mom's death, we found out Dad was her third husband. Yes, third. Total surprise to all the kids. She was only step mom to one child who is now 74 and we found him and he remembered my mom. Have a picture of first husband and both divorce decrees.

Apparently the 1940s were pretty wild.
    Wow, that is quite a secret to keep for so many years but she must have had a good reason for keeping it from you. Knowing them our whole lives, itís hard to believe that we do not know everything there is to know about our parents, especially big things like previous marriages.

She married a "good catch" whose family was rabidly Catholic from a long time military officer family. Imagine a college educated only son marrying a twice divorced woman in the 1940s. His parents were horrified (and we did not even know about the divorces). Everyone kept that secret.

We think they moved to Alaska and stayed there to get away from family. Mom was from a very poor family who moved from the depression era Missouri to Arizona. Regardless of the marriages, she did very well in work and had a huge sum saved when she married. As I said, the 1940s were crazy. The family all wish there were not so many secrets since we all thought we could have learned from her life and experiences.

We all wonder what other secrets were kept by my parents.

Does the company get your permission to let others know that you are probably related?

23 and me does but ancestry does not. It is probably in their fine print when you sign up.

You have a choice of keeping your Ancestory DNA private but you are not going to be allowed to get matches. One way disclosure is not allowed. You can always ignore any requests for contact.