Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DNA Testing & Surprise Sibling

Bae, I hope you find some relatives! We have been emailing every night back and forth. It is fun. I am giving her all the information I have on my DAd's side of the family since she is doing the family tree and then she will share what she finds out with me.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    goldensmom: My parents were married for 61 years. After my mom's death, we found out Dad was her third husband. Yes, third. Total surprise to all the kids. She was only step mom to one child who is now 74 and we found him and he remembered my mom. Have a picture of first husband and both divorce decrees.

Apparently the 1940s were pretty wild.
    Wow, that is quite a secret to keep for so many years but she must have had a good reason for keeping it from you. Knowing them our whole lives, it’s hard to believe that we do not know everything there is to know about our parents, especially big things like previous marriages.

She married a "good catch" whose family was rabidly Catholic from a long time military officer family. Imagine a college educated only son marrying a twice divorced woman in the 1940s. His parents were horrified (and we did not even know about the divorces). Everyone kept that secret.

We think they moved to Alaska and stayed there to get away from family. Mom was from a very poor family who moved from the depression era Missouri to Arizona. Regardless of the marriages, she did very well in work and had a huge sum saved when she married. As I said, the 1940s were crazy. The family all wish there were not so many secrets since we all thought we could have learned from her life and experiences.

We all wonder what other secrets were kept by my parents.

Does the company get your permission to let others know that you are probably related?

23 and me does but ancestry does not. It is probably in their fine print when you sign up.

You have a choice of keeping your Ancestory DNA private but you are not going to be allowed to get matches. One way disclosure is not allowed. You can always ignore any requests for contact.

I went to bump this thread for Razz and realized I never told the ending. By July, 2018 after I sent her a bunch of pictures and gave her all the information to finish her ancestry that she had worked on for years she dumped me. Although she lived in Australia and was English she loved Trump and I told her I didn’t but my husband is Republican as are a few good friends. She insisted on communicating through messenger on Facebook versus email. She also became friends with my cousin. We never discussed politics but my cousin posts a lot. She unfriended my cousin and I saying that my cousin was unstable and she was also done with me. I was hurt and felt used. My 2 siblings refused to communicate with her and I guess were smarter than me.

Really sorry that it turned out this way for you, TT. Sad when you make the effort to help another and it is so disappointing. At least you have the comfort of knowing that the facts you shared are accurate.

I had forgotten this thread with multiple posts of discoveries so appreciate hearing "the rest of the story".
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That's too bad, Terry. I never understand people who take advantage then turn on the giver. Thanks for sharing that.

TT you did talk about your Aussie sister and how she dropped you over politics. That is silly.

Thread Information