Thread: RIP Tom Wolfe

RIP Tom Wolfe

A great writer and a real snappy dresser.

Gee, did someone at the New York Times have a grudge against the guy? I just read a piece on his life and writing, and this was at the bottom:

Correction: May 15, 2018
    An earlier version of this obituary misstated Mr. Wolfe’s age and birth date. He was 88, not 87, and he was born on March 2, 1930, not 1931. The earlier version also misstated the title of a novel he published in 2004. It is “I Am Charlotte Simmons,” not “I Am Charlotte Curtis.”
    An earlier version of this obituary referred incorrectly to Mr. Wolfe’s book “Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers.” It was his third essay collection, not his second.

The guy just died. This is the New York Times, for Pete's sake. Couldn't they get his age, birth date, and titles of his books right?? Fire that fact checker!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Gee, did someone at the New York Times have a grudge against the guy? I just read a piece on his life and writing, and this was at the bottom:

An earlier version of this obituary misstated Mr. Wolfe’s age and birth date. He was 88, not 87, and he was born on March 2, 1930, not 1931. The earlier version also misstated the title of a novel he published in 2004. It is “I Am Charlotte Simmons,” not “I Am Charlotte Curtis.”
    An earlier version of this obituary referred incorrectly to Mr. Wolfe’s book “Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers.” It was his third essay collection, not his second.

The guy just died. This is the New York Times, for Pete's sake. Couldn't they get his age, birth date, and titles of his books right?? Fire that fact checker!!
    With something as predictable as death, you would think they could have checked the facts thoroughly in advance.

Clearly the NYT lacks the right stuff.

I just got rid of his classic recently, "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test".

“YOU ARE HEREBY EMPOWERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
    ― Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    With something as predictable as death, you would think they could have checked the facts thoroughly in advance.
    Haha! True enough, but as I'm sure you know, obituaries ARE written well in advance of a celebrity death. Looks like the author of the article didn't even care enough to read their own employer's obit.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

loved his books, hope they find an unfinished work to publish

Thread Information