Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DD asking us to get vaccinations

I'd get the vaccinations, and not go down the tin-foil-hat "big pharma" trail.

I have to demonstrate immunity through blood titers several times a year to even go to work. Vaccinations on the whole work, and save lives at very little cost.

I avoid vaccines etc in general but always comply to make others feel safe. It is my gift to them. That is the approach I would take with my grandchildren. It will give peace of mind which is much more important than the latest toy or fancy outfit that one might choose to give.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/downlo...eport-2016.pdf

Deaths and serious illness are not unknown. Your DD is being cautious.

PT: I have seen that commercial you are talking about and it is ridiculous. It just feels like emotional blackmail to me. I could understand if she had asked you to check into and see what you thought. But to hold something precious as a ultimatum does not seem right. None of my friends that have grandkids have ever experienced this. It will be interesting if I ever get put in this position as my 2 oldest have decided not to have kids and the third has no partner at this time. I do have 2 step-sons that would like kids in the future so we will see. My Dad has really bad emphysema for years and none of us ever got the flu shot. Despite us living next door and seeing him daily, my mom watching my kids when sick, etc he never so much as got a cold. I believe in vaccinations for kids but as a society we are over doing it to the max. They can screw up people's immune systems and over vaccinating is not wise. I also read that we are over vaccinating our pets which is causing cancer and other ailments. For instance if a puppy get their shots most are immune to rabies for life. Yet vets want to do it every 1-3 years. The only difference between the 1 or 3 year vaccine is the label they put on it. We give a 3lb dog the same amount of vaccine that you give a 200lb dog. For both people and pets it is a huge $ maker. I am not saying that you should not do it as you have a lot at stake but I would not be happy to be put in that position.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Babies get vaccinated so they are safe. I can't imagine telling my parents to get vaccines when my kids were babies. Wow that is way over the top. I probably would not do it.
    not necessarily correct. They may have part of the vaccine but not all of the schedule, there may be a reason to delay. Non issue to me. I got mine Before my DIL asked when her sister the pediatrician recommended it.

Of all all the things that cause rifts in families this seems a very trivial request. How could you ever risk it?

I don't see it as trivial because vaccines can and do cause health problems.

I don't see it as trivial because vaccines can and do cause health problems.
    Lack of vaccinations also can and do cause health problems.

Show the data on each.

Then, given that data, how would you arrive at a decision?

I have been vaccinated as a child and that is sufficient for me. Everyone can make their own decision about their own bodies.

I have been vaccinated as a child and that is sufficient for me. Everyone can make their own decision about their own bodies.
    A problem is that by not vaccinating, you are also making decisions about other peoples' bodies. People who are too young to be vaccinated, or too immuno-compromised, or ... I think it is quite reasonable for people responsible for the care of that sort of population to refuse interactions with those who choose not to vaccinate.

I have repeatedly shut down a pre-school I help run here because of anti-vaxxers who, during whooping cough outbreaks, did not follow the regulations.

I am not against vaccines. I was vaccinated as were my kids. That is sufficient.

Thread Information