Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD asking us to get vaccinations

DD asking us to get vaccinations

I figured this topic would come up with DD and her soon to be born twins as docs are now advising shots for those in close contact. She calmly stated that we need to get TDaP (Tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough) vaccinations or we can't see the babies. I am not trying to be alarmist just yet and will probably comply but my personal philosophy is that we are all over-medicalized. I also think the pharmaceutical industry has a very heavy hand in all of this - imagine the profits!! it will be $150 for both of us to get the shots as they are not covered under my insurance. Yes, whooping cough is a terrible thing but ... what to do?? Additionally, DH and I recently had physicals and both came out clean - no high blood pressure, blood sugar - the only recommendation was that we get all these various shots (shingles, TDap, flu).

Honestly, I'm not an apologist for Big Pharma (or maybe I am, although I am a sincere critic of the industry as well), but I am for vaccines. I don't think they're a big deal and they prevent disease. They simply do. People forget about all the diseases that were rampant prior to immunizations, but those diseases maimed and killed.

Do pharmaceutical companies make a profit on them? Of course they do. I am currently working on a vaccine--as we speak I'm writing a report for a Pharma company. I won't say which one for confidentiality purposes, but this particular vaccine absolutely prevents this particular illness by almost 100%. There is no downside of getting it except for a sore arm for a couple of days. If you wind up getting this condition, you pay for treatment and risk long-term debilitation.

I am medication averse for the most part--but I believe in reasonable precautions, and try to intelligently discern what will do me ill and what will help me, regardless of my emotions surrounding the for-profit pharmaceutical industry.

If it were important to my daughter that I get a vaccine, I would get it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You can have whatever ideas you like about vaccines, big pharma, and society. But when it comes to the specific situation of your only grandchildren, how is it going to hurt that you get these shots? What to do, you ask?

Really? You never ever go against your philosophy for a practical reason?

I get a TDAP shot every 10 years anyways- I often go barefoot outside and risk stepping on something contaminated (ie I need the tetanus anyways)

Given the track record of these vaccinations, I would do it. This is not a hill on which I would die in battle.

Are the vaccinations guarding against an edge case? Except for tetanus, probably. Will they cost more than they should, given the benefit to "the herd" of having them? Yes. But the downside is low and there are more than enough non-thinking people exposing everyone else to diseases that were just about eradicated years ago by not immunizing themselves or their children. Save the dudgeon for statins.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I will do it for DD to honor her wishes. Otherwise, nope.

Is this her first babies?
    I wasn't an overly anxious mom. I let the babies play in dirt, heck they probably ate it. I had a friend who was very much a germ aphobe and always had anti-bac in hand and she sure spent a lot more time in the Dr office with sick babies than I ever did. That being said. I'm pro vaccine and was just thinking the other day that I should probably have another tetnus shot and see what else may need updated. Even with insurance sometimes the health department offers lower cost shots than going through our Dr's office. I also get blood draws there because it's less expensive than the diagnostic clinic where the Dr sends people. I did call the health department about the shingles vac and was told if I was over 60 they had a grant for free shots but it would cost me quite a bit because I'm only 51.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Babies get vaccinated so they are safe. I can't imagine telling my parents to get vaccines when my kids were babies. Wow that is way over the top. I probably would not do it.

These are her first and the pregnancy is high risk so the babies health might be compromised from the gitgo if they come early. The thing that irks me is that all of these various vaccines being promoted use fear as a motivator in their ads. The one my daughter is asking me to get has a tv ad showing grandma as a big bad wolf because she hasn't had the shot. I find that insulting. This topic is apparently causing a lot of family strife when grandparents are denied visiting rights.

For all the reasons others have stated, I would definitely would do it. My mom is in the end stages of a disease, she is allergic to the flu shot. We all get the shot to try to protect her by not bringing the flu into the house. During flu season we ask her caregivers and frequent visitors if they've been vaccinated and if not, we ask that they wear a mask. She did not like us doing this at first but I told her it was standard practice for any of the workers to wear the mask if they refused the vaccine so we weren't asking they to do anything they weren't already supposed to be doing and as for friends, well, a good friend would understand. And they did. So far no flu. And no friendships lost.

Thread Information