Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nearly half of Americans can't afford survival basics....

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    In the summer we RV and there are lots of people out there full time RVing. There are BLM lands, state, county and national parks that are free or inexpensive to stay in. Many workcampers stay, or seasonal workers. You have to move every two weeks but it can be very cheap. Some Walmart’s and other restaurants let you stay in their lots, which we see all over the country. We have even met people who tent it full time. One day in a church parking lot there were young women in several cars sleeping.
    My uncle in his 80's does full time RV-ing. He also needs to keep working. He had a fire that quickly took everything he owned because the RV was a total loss. The difference between the insurance and what he and his wife really need is $17K. So there is another go-fund-me, add that to the medical and other emergency ones and i get overwhelmed. My uncle has worked his entire life, does not have extravagances, paid his insurance and in his 80's is now jobless and homeless evidently.

Catherine, you need to get rid of him before he is broke. Ugh! If he is staying in NJ maybe sign him up p for low income housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, you need to get rid of him before he is broke. Ugh! If he is staying in NJ maybe sign him up p for low income housing.
    Yeah, my son the lawyer already suggested that. The problem with BIL is not just that he acts like an entitled little boy thanks to his mom, but he truly has some cognitive issues. For instance, I've told him repeatedly to get his stuff out of an expensive storage locker, but the very thought of that simple task overwhelms him. I see it in his eyes, and he's repeatedly cried out to DH and I, "I'm not like you! I can't do 8 things at once!" In truth, in many cases, he can't do one thing at once. He freezes up and freaks out. It's not like he's some countercultural MBA who gave up a corporate job and is sitting on my couch smoking weed and reading Proust, and laughing at us behind our back. I'm not making excuses, but it's hard to teach a 55 year old man basic living skills that he should have learned in his teens.

Anyway, if things go well in VT, we will be selling the house in the spring and he'll have to find his way out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Would he let you help him with these tasks? I had a good friend but when she got MS it affected her cognitively. So I helped her get a disability retirement at work, did all the phone calls, etc on her behalf, filled out the paperwork, applied for low income housing for her, went to the meetings with her, etc. It all worked out and she was able to get what she needed. She was smart but the effects of the MS made her unable to do these things for herself.

Would he let you help him with these tasks? I had a good friend but when she got MS it affected her cognitively. So I helped her get a disability retirement at work, did all the phone calls, etc on her behalf, filled out the paperwork, applied for low income housing for her, went to the meetings with her, etc. It all worked out and she was able to get what she needed. She was smart but the effects of the MS made her unable to do these things for herself.
    Another "character defect" he has is he only hears what he wants to hear, and when you bring something up he interrupts with 'yeah, yeah, I know, I know"--DH thinks he is sensitive to people thinking he's stupid, or he just doesn't want to be bothered listening. For instance, I've tried to tell him about personal finance, and he truly does't understand the concept. When I gave him Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book, he said that that doesn't fit him because he doesn't have money. I told him "that's the point. Read this and you might." but he never takes the time to process new information.

But he has asked for my help when it comes to posting on Facebook, or booking a flight to Las Vegas. Then he's appreciative. I'll bring up the low-income housing thing, but I truly wish he'd get out of New Jersey. For his sake.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I hope he lets you help him. YOu guys deserve to enjoy your golden years and he could have a decent place on his income. I forgot he has house $ which may make him not eligible.

I hope he lets you help him. YOu guys deserve to enjoy your golden years and he could have a decent place on his income. I forgot he has house $ which may make him not eligible.
    Honestly, he's not interfering with my enjoyment of life. I b*tch about him, but he's a nice guy and funny. Sometimes annoying, but what roommate isn't? It will all work out.

Catherine: I can appreciate your kindness to DBIL and he is after all your DH's brother. I have a few friends who are somewhat like him, sort of never got the hang of the whole adult thing (and it isn't easy). I will be preparing 3 years of tax returns for one of them. He is due refunds, but he has never filed a tax return at 58 years old. His return will be super-simple, and I am willing to do this for him going forward for as long as we both may live. We've been friends for 45 years, so how could I not help?

Hopefully you get a tshirt made up for him, before your house is on the market, since I expect he will not understand that he can't be there during showings. For sale, make offer in large print.

i just read that we have spent $5.6 trillion dollars so far on the perpetual "War on Terror". I bet that would
    have surely helped many citizens improve their lot in life...instead of lining the pockets of the Arms Industry!

Thread Information