Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I made a good decision

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    did you move in my absence?
    Haha! Well, while you were away, in September, DH and I happened to find a tiny cabin in VT, 30 minutes from my kids who live in Burlington. My BIL's house was in the process of selling, and we paid off our substantial IRS debt with the lion's share of DH's proceeds and used the rest as a down payment on this house. A questionable financial decision, but it fulfills a lifelong dream for both DH and I to have a place by the water (he and I both enjoyed summers with our aunties at beach cottages). And it gives us a home base near 3 of our kids. And we have always LOVED Vermont--we took summer vacations up here for 20 years.

Part B of our plan is to confirm that we enjoy life in VT and then sell our house in NJ, which has a market value of twice as much as our home, so that would enable us to pay off the mortgage on this little house and put a little cash in the bank. Or put all the cash in the bank. Depending on the best strategy at that time.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I remember you wanting to move to Burlington, congratulations on making it happen! That all sounds wonderful. My dearest friends live there and whenever I visit I just feel like this is where I belong. Maybe someday.

I think I could maybe manage to live there for a day or two.

Very pretty.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Lovely!

A cautionary tale: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44215648

I can't understand people like this; I would do whatever it took to be independent.

Wow!!

I agree on the independence thing.

What a horrible situation. Funny thing is, that house could be in my neighborhood. It's not EXACTLY my model but very similar, and there are houses in the development that look exactly like it. So the story literally hits a little bit too close to home.

I came back to NJ for a presentation, and BIL has kept the lawn nice, and has laid out June's "rent" on the table (in quotes because in effect he's only paying for cable, gas and electric). But he texted me that he has an appointment and won't be here. Is he trying to avoid me? Hmm.. The house smells like someone has been smoking which he is not supposed to do, but DH has smoked in his office for years, which infiltrates the whole house, so I can't really blame BIL entirely, but I HATE the idea of the house being coated in tar and nicotine. Because DH and his brother are sneaky smokers, I considered getting one of those devices that can remotely tell you if someone is smoking in your property. Neither of them understand that smoke is not just smoke. It's chemicals that ruin all the surfaces of the house.

Rant over. Jane, thanks for raising my blood pressure this morning.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

If I was those parents I would have changed the locks)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    He lost the first round; I doubt that will get the desired results.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/us/ju...rnd/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They may not have legal right to lock him out.

I have seen enough roomate situations go bad here, even when the “roomate” pays no rent, that I know the police dont remove people from premises when there is ambiguity about who is authorized to be there.

I made a good decision.

Met neighbors last night that share the common land at the lakefront. First impression, they are all very nice. I think DH found his tribe. Seriously. He grew up in a little beach community at Rockaway Beach where the community was filled with Irish/Scottish police and firemen. His uncles shoveled out a basement of their tiny bungalow with their bare hands (and a shovel) so they could fit more family in on the weekends. Everyone there was like that. And the same is true here. All the homeowners seem to get by by cobbling their resources together, including their community resources. We brought in a half a cord of wood for the fire pit last night. Our neighbor's teenage kids stacked it for us and in return they asked if they could have some wood for their fire pit until they get some.

I love my little house. The wooden Boos butcher block table that I was going to cut in half is instead a center-of-the-home way station to prep food, drop off mail, pull up a stool and have a cup of coffee, and throw a towel on and iron clothes. Technology provides me with instant music that floats easily through all 700 sq. feet via Alexa on my Echo. We found plates and glasses at "Granny's Attic," the local thrift shop.

And my son and DIL had their first child on Thursday (I'm now a 3-time grandmother!), and I'm only 35 minutes away. I bought 3 lbs. of grassfed beef from the nursery/beef producer that's a 10 minute walk from my house and so I'll make up a big stew and bring it to the new mom and dad.

This whole tableau is almost a cliche, but so is this: Life is good.

Thread Information