Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contagious disease and immunizations

When we have had life threatening injuries we have gone to the ER and been treated aggressively and have been very grateful to allopathic medicine and the kind of help folks like Bae have been trained to give and so generously provide.

When we have been battling chronic conditions and seeking to prevent those kind of life threatening health crises, we have successfully used "alternative" remedies, including homeopathic ones, acupuncture, nutritional remedies, etc.

I don't find them at all contradictory, and am glad for both kinds of healing modalities.

Q: What do you call alternative medicine that works?

A: Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    it scares me that we are seeing a resurgence of once eradicated diseases such as mumps and measles because parents are choosing not to immunize
    The only ones who have to worry about MMR are the ones who don't vaccinate. The parents learn the hard way, the kids learn the even harder way.

[QUOTEThe only ones who have to worry about MMR are the ones who don't vaccinate][/QUOTE]
    Well, not exactly. There are kids/adults who simply CAN'T vaccinate for various reasons - allergic reactions, medically fragile - who WERE protected by the near eradication of specific diseases because everyone else was vaccinated. With the return of those diseases, this population (and I have no idea of the numbers, I simply know someone in this position...) is very much at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Well, not exactly. There are kids/adults who simply CAN'T vaccinate for various reasons - allergic reactions, medically fragile - who WERE protected by the near eradication of specific diseases because everyone else was vaccinated. With the return of those diseases, this population (and I have no idea of the numbers, I simply know someone in this position...) is very much at risk.
    I stand corrected. Thank you for reminding me of this. Herd immunity is quite important to certain populations. Duly noted.

Growing up in the 50s and 60s, it was a right of passage to get the measles and mumps. I had them both. Everyone had the little smallpox scar on their arm too from that shot. I don't recall children dying but I do remember my mother's fear of my brothers going sterile from the mumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A great video on homeopathic medicine!
    Homeopathic medicine is about as effective as astrology, studies show!

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/cam02

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Homeopathic medicine is about as effective as astrology, studies show!

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/cam02
    Dude, the practitioners in the video combined holistic medicine AND astrology for a very effective treatment!. Undortunately, their patient died. Didnt get him to their practice soon enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A great video on homeopathic medicine! Emergency Room doctors treat a car accident victim with a variety of herbals and alternative medicinals!

I found this totally stupid. You OBVIOUSLY have no understanding of homeopathic medicine. There are times when it of great help.

ETA Many doctors here advocate using homeopathic arnica montana to minimize bruising and swelling. It also works AMAZINGLY well if you overdo (exercise, yard work or gardening). As with traditional medicine, some homeopathic remedies are not effective.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I found this totally stupid. You OBVIOUSLY have no understanding of homeopathic medicine. There are times when it of great help.
    What is the theory behind the effectiveness of homeopathic medicine?

My understanding is that at the dilutions of the proposed effective ingredients, there may not be even a single molecule of the substance in the "medicine". The standard homeopathic 30C preparation of arnica montana would require giving two billion doses per second to six billion people for 4 billion years to deliver a single molecule of the original material to any patient.

Apparently the water in the dilution is supposed to assume some sort of magical property, though no scientific test we know of can measure this magic. And studies generally show no more than the placebo effect. (*)

So teach us, how does this stuff work?

(*) Real Arnica preparations are great for this purpose, by the way. The homeopathic version is however completely useless.

Thread Information