Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Contagious disease and immunizations

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Homeopathic medicine is about as effective as astrology, studies show!

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/cam02
    Science is for sinners!

I find homeopathic medicine to be totally stupid. No comment on the folks who buy (and buy and buy and buy) into it.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It also works AMAZINGLY well if you overdo (exercise, yard work or gardening). As with traditional medicine, some homeopathic remedies are not effective.
    If that is correct, and that herb works this well, then I give it about 5 minutes until Big Pharma is all over it.

If it doesn't work, then you can continue buying it from kooks in health food stores along with a bottle of Dr. Feel Good and a bottle of Snake Oil. Cures what ails ya!

Hasn't it been proven that a large percentage of a medicine's or treatment's effectiveness (homeopathic or conventional) is whether or not we believe it will help us? Placebo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Hasn't it been proven that a large percentage of a medicine's or treatment's effectiveness (homeopathic or conventional) is whether or not we believe it will help us? Placebo effect.
    Absolutely true. A hypothetical example of a pain drug that will be considered a success and approved by the FDA: two groups: one gets the real pill, one gets the placebo. After the trial is over it has been found that people taking the real pill got a 27% response, while people taking the placebo got a 23% response.

The mind is an amazing thing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Absolutely true. A hypothetical example of a pain drug that will be considered a success and approved by the FDA: two groups: one gets the real pill, one gets the placebo. After the trial is over it has been found that people taking the real pill got a 27% response, while people taking the placebo got a 23% response.

The mind is an amazing thing.
    Exactly! Since we are nothing but energy ourselves, I see nothing odd about the idea that forms of "energy medicine" such as Reiki or homeopathy may indeed have a scientific basis, speaking from the standpoint of quantum mechanics.

Great point.

I'm a big fan of the placebo effect--it's free, safe, and you don't need a prescription. No side effects and no genuflecting in front of doctors or insurance providers.

I wonder if a placebo can work the other way too - if we are not convinced a pill will work or will have bad side effects, it probably will. I had such a horrible reaction to Cipro once, that I am scared now to use prescription drugs. I am going to have to steel myself to get the Tdap vaccine soon.

A lot of people who have never heard of Cipro before they got "floxed" have been harmed by it.
    But I do think the nocebo effect is real--especially when it's an authority figure in a white coat "pointing the bone."

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I find homeopathic medicine to be totally stupid. No comment on the folks who buy (and buy and buy and buy) into it.

If that is correct, and that herb works this well, then I give it about 5 minutes until Big Pharma is all over it.

If it doesn't work, then you can continue buying it from kooks in health food stores along with a bottle of Dr. Feel Good and a bottle of Snake Oil. Cures what ails ya!
    Just got back from a very trying day .... family emergency. Will respond more later but want to say there are many herbs that big pharma is using. Also gave some homeopathic “medicines” to my dog, who by the way, was also helped. So, how can that be a placebo effect? Years ago I studied about various remedies and modalities and could explain them and actually gave presentations. I have quit studying and just use those that work for common complaints. I really don’t care what you think. Believe what you want. If you have an interest, go to the library and check out The Prescription for Nutritional Healing” by Phyllis Balch... the newest version. This book explains in detail.

Pt, I am just curious do you need the vaccine to see the baby now but wouldn't need it if you waited until the babies were 6 months old? I lowered my cholesterol with a plant based pill recommended by my chiropractor by 50 pts in 1 month. Acupuncture has helped with headaches, back and neck pain. For years I was cold all the time and one treatment warmed me up. CBD biscuits in conjunction with a pain med is keeping my old dog going at 13 and he is big. We did the pain med alone for 3 years and then he got so he could hardly walk. So someone recommended the CBD. Interestingly enough it worked for 6 months and then stopped so now he is on 2 pain meds. A friend of mine recently was diagnosed with neck/throat cancer and surgery plus radiation would have taken his ability to speak, eat, hear and left him disfigured so he said no. His daughter convinced him to take CBD in a certain form and it needed THC also for months and his tumors shrunk so much that now he is able to have radiation only. Both kinds of medicine help.

Thread Information