Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Travel Plans for this Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Shocked at how expensive RV sites are.
    Teacher Terry, why do you think that's so? I agree with the shock level (lots of places where an RV site would exist have motels priced at $70 per night or less). I'm just wondering if it's supply and demand or that parking at Walmart is free so there are fewer customers or that places like that often are on the short end of zoning ordinances and the like.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, I really don’t know. We bought it 11 years ago and things were cheaper. The places we have stayed had plenty of customers. Even the national parks were expensive. I just need to convince my husband to sell it. It is also much faster to take the car. On this last trip most of our motels were between 45-65/night. A few places we paid between 80-100. We were gone a month and with all the costs we spent 4K. We ate dinner out every night. The trip would have cost a lot more with the RV. We wanted to take it to the Oregon coast but had to rent for a month and the cost was between 1500-2500. They did not rent by the week during the summer and fall.

had to rent for a month and the cost was between 1500-2500. They did not rent by the week during the summer and fall.
    That tells me that they have no problem keeping the place filled up with guests....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Also if you are just going camping in a public campground they are cheap but don’t work for traveling as they are usually far from cities and also just dirt and we plus the dogs get so dirty. The ones in town have grass, cement or gravel.

Also if you are just going camping in a public campground they are cheap but don’t work for traveling as they are usually far from cities and also just dirt and we plus the dogs get so dirty. The ones in town have grass, cement or gravel.
    Ahh that explains it. On our last 3 week trip to the west coast and back we spent much less than you, but in our travels we consider any campground rather than limit ourselves to the ritzy ones. The fanciest one we've ever stayed at was in California last year, it was in the same price range you mentioned but we can usually find a suitable site for half of the amounts you're spending.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Because our dogs have hair instead of fur as soon as they walk in the dirt it sticks and then we pick them up and our dirty too. Plus we don’t want to me a long distance from what we are doing. So when we go camping just to hike etc no big deal to be dirty. Sightseeing not so much.

I just got back from two days diving in Thunder Bay, northern Lake Huron, off Alpena, MI. The quality of the shipwrecks is amazing. We drove up the west side of Michigan from Chicago and then across to Alpena. Small town of 10K in town and 10K in township. Lots of camping, kayaking, hiking, fishing to do. Area is gorgeous. It’s spectacular in fall color season. About 8 hours from Chicago.

In the planning stages of a fall motorcycle trip to the mountains - Tennessee and North Carolina. Friends want to go first week of October, we want to go about the 15th...

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    In the planning stages of a fall motorcycle trip to the mountains - Tennessee and North Carolina. Friends want to go first week of October, we want to go about the 15th...
    Lots of good motorcycle riding in those areas. Try the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail Of The Dragon if you're in that neck of the woods, you won't regret it!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That fall trip sounds fun!

Thread Information