Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coffee grounds.....

Ceramic crock in the kitchen with a lid; when it fills up (it doesn't take long), it goes to the big composter outside. Sometimes if I'm making something that leaves lots of compostables, I'll just put the trimmings on a dinner plate and leave that near the crock so, when I'm done, it all goes out. Easier to place stuff on the plate and easier to clean it (dishwasher). But it can't sit open on the counter overnight.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We have plastic containers by the sink that I empty at least once dailey into a cat litter bucket. It is DH’s job to take that litter bucket out to whichever compost pile is being fed.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-18 at 9:54am.

I'm just using an old pot for compost and dump it every night. Eventually I'd like a compost container that's meant specifically for kitchen counters

But DH bought heather plants for our front yard, and I understand they like acidic soil, so I'm segregating the coffee grounds--I take them out of my French press in the morning and put them in a little plastic take-out container, and then pour/spread them around the plants later in the day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm just using an old pot for compost and dump it every night. Eventually I'd like a compost container that's meant specifically for kitchen counters
    If you're in Burlington, you might want to see what Gardener's Supply has for compost bins. I got mine from World Market (on line), but I buy the composting liner bags from Gardener's Supply (my brother works there, so I get his discount). Yes it seems silly to buy something just for composting, but my compost is only emptied maybe every 4-5 days and my old container really retained odors. My composter is a grey stoneware with a lid that has a carbon filter in it. Its not something I have to hide when company is over.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    If you're in Burlington, you might want to see what Gardener's Supply has for compost bins.
    So funny you said that! I have a Gardener's Supply catalog right here at arms-length, and one of the things I circled was this.

Plus my kids gave me a $50 gift card from Gardener's Supply for Mother's Day!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information