Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: writing a rebuttal

writing a rebuttal

I got the notes from yesterdays meeting with supervisor and they are wrong. He also makes judgments such as I didn't have a conversation with a staff because I didn't want to. In reality I DID have the conversation, emailed him, and at the beginning of the meeting clarified that I asked him to also meet with her because I was not involved with summer hiring and also wanted to continue to relationship build even if her consequence did not change. There is more, however I have a lot of clear evidence that much of it is not true.

Now I want to write a really awesome opening to this rebuttal. At the end of our meeting yesterday I expressed concern that we still had conflict in our working relationship and said that I was committed to continue the work together. I said something about my outside work in mindfulness, he then told me he saw no evidence of mindfulness or conflict resolution in my work at all. Sigh, I want to continue what I have been saying. I know we have conflict and negativity, I am willing to be part of working on that, and I encourage him to get to know my staff as part of this process of building a team.

Maybe that is just what I need to say, but short and sweet (and firm)

If you clearly did talk to yoir staff member telling her she would not be working this summer as he asked you to do, and you did that before he reminded you or made a second request of you, then you are in the clear. Make a simple statement of such in your rebuttal.

I dont understand why you wanted him to talk to her again. Doesnt that mean another meeting for him? More work. Why?

But whatever. I think it is fine to reiterate you are “committed to continue working together” with a goal of less conflict.I guess you can encourage him to “get to know” your staff, I guess it is benign enough. It could also be seen as you giving him direction which he make take offense to.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-25-18 at 2:14pm.

Thank you, I am not asking him to meet with her again. I did think it was more in his role to talk to her but I didn't delay. In his follow up email (sent while I was taking almost 2 days off for personal reasons) he said I should invite him to a meeting with her. So confused, I thought he wanted me to meet with her so I did and now it sounds like he wants to meet with her like I originally suggested but he was not available.

I will keep very benign, I am already copying in his supervisor since his notes include that this will count against me for the final evaluation of my improvement and whether or not I 'pass' .

That man is nuts! Copy all his emails to someone higher up. They need to see how off the wall he is. Rebuttal,I'd keep it short, state facts and include any email evidence you have of his contradictions.

I hope you're keeping meticulous documentation.

As others have said, document document document. Keep to the facts and no feelings. Never discuss anything you do outside work with this person. Keep a log of all interaction with him.

Yes! Thank you all, I am adding short details with dates and method of communication to my email rebuttal. It helps that he basically says no work is done without email proof, and he is copied in on all my emails now.

My last question is when shoulder I send it? I could send it tonight and I will see him tomorrow mid-day for our end of year small party. Or I could wait and send it right after the party but before the weekend. I know I have spent too much time in my life trying to be perfect to not piss off a crazy person more, but I also want to put a little thought into timing. I really hate getting that email right before a break or weekend with no time to respond. The one that landed me in the shrink's office was the Saturday morning of spring break when he was on a cruise. However I am not being intentionally mean to send it then, I have had a busy day and need to check those dates.

Wow this guy is totally nuts! I would send it after the party.

How would his supervisor want to receive it? That is the real issue here, IMO.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I hate when I get stuff like this, and its too late in the day/end of the week for me to do anything about it. It feels like cowardice when someone sends me something important late in the day. You couldn't have told me this during working hours? I sit and stew all weekend since I can't do anything about it. Sending a nasty gram (even if its deserved which it sounds like it is) late on a Friday, at the end of year is kind of like breaking up with someone in a restaurant, which you picked so that they wouldn't make a scene. Passive aggressive.

Of course, your boss may not even care that you are technically correct, or you may not care if he gets pissed off that this is just one more thing on his list of things he doesn't like about you.

Thread Information