Thread: Job coach/friend

Job coach/friend

So the woman who was my job coach is not very available. A few months ago we decided we would make good friends so we took a break from the job coach relationship to transition. I never got a final bill from her, i have asked a few times. We have talked and texted a few times now and it was a shared conversation, more equal time. My last texts were responded to in a way i thought implied she was more available, then nothing. When we do talk she doesn't say anything about the dropped conversation. More flakey than unavailable.

So now I need someone to help me practice interview skills. An HR person in our office has offered and that feels awkward. I do need some real feedback, so i think I should get a new job coach. Meanwhile i need to seriously readjust my expectations for this friendship. It really isn't help my confidence that someone who thought i was great is struggling so much with her basic life and business skills,

Yppej
    Check if there are interview practice groups in your area. I went to one when I was unemployed.

What is the downside of using the HR person? One upside might be that they see you in action, apart from the supervisor, and get a better idea of who you are, and what you can do.

I just want to stay out of my department mostly. And I think this person may be overly nice about her feedback.

Use the HR person. Costs you nothing. This person has seen your evaluations, knows the points being reported as problematic, and will be able to interact with you from the point-of-view of a potential employer. Many employers leave the first run or even the final selection to HR.

Ask the person to be frank, and to evaluate you as if you were a candidate for a position at your present place of employment . What does she see as your weaknesses? Your strengths?

Thread Information