Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancellation of the Rosanne show.......

Cancellation of the Rosanne show.......

I quit watching her show a long time ago, so I wasn't really interested in it's revival. She's always been a foul-mouthed creature.
    But what really bothers me about the network dropping the show, is how many other people will be hurt by this.......maybe hundreds who work to make this show.
    Considering how many others were affected by her comment, couldn't there have been a punishment that would have only affected Barr?
    Sometimes it seems like we're in the knee-jerk reaction of some issues now. That darned pendulum is out of control...........

I had the same reaction--yes, her tweet was terrible, but I feel so bad for all those people who were depending on that paycheck, and by all accounts that show may have lasted a while. It had great reviews and ratings.

But the reality is, ABC knew that advertisers were going to pull the plug and put their ad dollars somewhere else, so it was just a matter of time before the show would have been cancelled, and this way they could look like they were taking the high road.

And they couldn't fire Barr off the show. This is one situation where there is NO replacement for "Roseanne."

Boy, oh, boy, the consequences of one Tweet in this day and age.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    And they couldn't fire Barr off the show. This is one situation where there is NO replacement for "Roseanne."
    Jimmy Kimmel last night proposed bringing the series back as "Dan", featuring the entire cast except for Barr.

It would be interesting to see if that show would pull the same audiences. Maybe have Laurie Metcalf's and Dan Goodman's characters face off with each other; I think that would be a more nuanced examination of the differences and commonalities between the stereotypical Trump supporter and the stereotypical non-Trump supporter. But there wouldn't be the same heat to it so who knows if it would be worth what it costs -- or how much support or detraction Barr would provide.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

“It’s hard to know the difference between racism that gets you fired and racism that gets you elected president.“ I read that somewhere today. Also something about being upset that Roseanne doesn’t have free-speech, while simultaneously telling football players that they have to stand for the anthem or they’re in trouble.

When arrogance takes over in any situation, so many others suffer the consequences. This has happened so many times so what makes Roseanne any different?
    It is interesting that corporations are taking the role of setting some standard of acceptable behaviour. The Roseanne audience didn't, did they? Funny that advertisers are calling the shots based on the silent consumers who vote with their dollars. I am one of them and let the advertisers know what I think. Enough voices are speaking up and protesting, it seems.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I watched the new Roseanne show into the first few episodes and found it somewhat funny. Too bad for ABC! The networks are circling the drain these days. Not only production people on the Roseanne show lost their jobs, but those 1%er network executives are feeling the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    “It’s hard to know the difference between racism that gets you fired and racism that gets you elected president.“ I read that somewhere today...
    haha, that is sort of funny!

Also something about being upset that Roseanne doesn’t have free-speech, while simultaneously telling football players that they have to stand for the anthem....
    Roseanne has free speech. Any NFL fan also has freedom to turn their back on NFL players and games for political action on the field. All seem fair to me.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-30-18 at 9:49am.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Jimmy Kimmel last night proposed bringing the series back as "Dan", featuring the entire cast except for Barr.

It would be interesting to see if that show would pull the same audiences. Maybe have Laurie Metcalf's and Dan Goodman's characters face off with each other; I think that would be a more nuanced examination of the differences and commonalities between the stereotypical Trump supporter and the stereotypical non-Trump supporter. But there wouldn't be the same heat to it so who knows if it would be worth what it costs -- or how much support or detraction Barr would provide.
    That would be interesting. Metcalf and Goodman could certainly carry a show. i wonder if they would be interested in that since both of them work a lot in film and other tv roles.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-30-18 at 9:49am.

She was probably an executive producer or had some executive role aside from acting. I think killing her character off would be appropriate, along with separating her completely from the production. The ensemble cast could carry the show, (which I have never watched). Maybe Kathy Griffin could play Dan's love interest. Or Rosie O'Donnell. Roseanne has always been a loose cannon, with her daft conspiracy theories and crotch-grabbing stunts. Blatant racism is popular now, but it has consequences.

I loved the show the first time around and watched the new for nostalgia. I think it can be hard to get the groove back. When Will and Grace came back it kinda creeped me out to see them older, acting as they did when they were younger. I didn't see that happening with Roseanne. I was also happy to see the politics subside after the first couple of shows. I'm not a fan of her personally but I appreciated the character that she created and I have always loved Metcalf and Goodman along with the other supporting players. I think it is a shame that the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater. I'm also bummed that ala Cosby..... the old shows are being yanked off too.

Thread Information