Thread: Tariff on Newsprint (32% on Canadian paper) increases jobs at one mill by 50

Tariff on Newsprint (32% on Canadian paper) increases jobs at one mill by 50

But threatens 600,000 jobs in publishing and printing.

The winner is: NORPAC, a newsprint mill in Longview WA. The price of uncoated groundwood paper (newsprint) has gone up... since the countervailing and antidumping tariffs on Canadian paper... to $655 per metric ton. The company plans to hire 50 new workers and restart one paper machine.

Publishers of American newspapers, books, and directories, now are coping with a 32% price increase in newsprint, and are looking for ways to reduce the page counts.

They are fighting the duties on imported Canadian newsprint. http://www.stopnewsprinttariffs.org

Paper? How quaint.

Is this going to affect the cost of a fast food meal? (Wrappers and bags) because trump hates the press and doesn’t read books, so i’m thinking he’s going to be pretty happy with the situation.

But threatens 600,000 jobs in publishing and printing.
    Maybe but these figures don't even sound believable. It seems more like they are blaming jobs that were already going away on this. Newspapers, ok yea a job going away. Books? Already going to e-books.

I know nothing about STOPP and where most of their money comes from. But why should I believe some vested interest? It's not an independent study as far as I can tell. Of course the day trade policy is made with concern about it's impact on jobs is the day heck will freeze over.
    Trees don't grow on money

I read the newspaper online because it is a third of the cost, don’t have to worry about the paper not arriving, being wet or having to crawl under the car to get it.

Meanwhile, just up the Columbia...
    http://www.paperage.com/2017news/11_...amas_mill.html

I know many Camas families who are negatively affected.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information