Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation of the Rosanne show.......

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Our culture has become nothing but a playground of crude schoolyard bullies.
    Cruel schoolyard bullies get elected President. So I guess enough people have issued the stamp of approval for that kind of behavior.

That said, IMHO when you open the barn (locker room?) door to that kind of thing, you shouldn't be surprised when something you don't like wanders in.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Cruel schoolyard bullies get elected President. So I guess enough people have issued the stamp of approval for that kind of behavior.

That said, IMHO when you open the barn (locker room?) door to that kind of thing, you shouldn't be surprised when something you don't like wanders in.
    Yes, I agree that our leader is setting the tone, but that line of thinking reminds me of another schoolyard mantra: "Mom! He started it!" and then our mothers saying: "If everyone jumped off the bridge would you do it?"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Valerie Jarrett wasn't on my radar until this flap happened--a little research indicates she comes from generations of highly educated, accomplished people. That probably makes no difference to Roseanne, whose delusions of superiority spring only from race, apparently.

Samantha Bee's very trenchant point was lost as soon as she resorted to vulgarity; too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Surprisingly, I didn't know Valerie Jarrett was African American until this incident.
    Surprisingly, I didnt know who Valerie Jarrett was, period.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    "Mom! He started it!" and then our mothers saying: "If everyone jumped off the bridge would you do it?"
    I am reminded of an ad campaign many years ago for a brand of software, distinctly in second place in its category, which took on the market leader by contrasting the contradiction between advocating for individuality ("If everyone jumped off the bridge would you do it?") with going along to get along ("Let's buy <market-leading brand> because lots of other companies use it!"). Somehow, later in life, that individuality argument starts to get watered down.

My comment in my previous post was incomplete; I should have written something about people being gored by their own ox. Jarrett did not in any way ask for the treatment she received from Barr. Ivanka Trump, however, is in the public eye at the moment as a very high-ranking civil servant, has a history of saying something publicly and not backing the statement with action, and is a member of a family that regularly trash-talks others. I don't think any Trump should be surprised or b---hurt when someone else trash-talks them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The Trumps operate as a classic crime family for whom omerta is a code of honor. Laws and societal mores don't apply to them.

We seem to live in a golden age of puerility and nastiness. We have degenerated from Dorothy Parker to Samantha Bee in less than a century.

But there is cause for hope. I hear Firing Line may be coming back.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...t-hoover-host/

I don't watch that show, but it will be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

I saw that! Maybe they feel there was enough wiggle room in the ratings to warrant a stab at a Roseanne-less Roseanne.

I think the cast is strong without her, but I wonder if it's strong enough? At least the cast/crew are employed for a while more.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information