Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation of the Rosanne show.......

As someone whose employer has been re-alligning or re this or re that for the last six years with the steady drip drip drip of layoffs the whole time i struggle to feel much empathy for the other people that got laid off because of her stupidity. They knew when they took the job that they had hitched their trailers to a nutjob psychobit*h and took their chances. They’ll find new jobs.

Didn't see the 1st revival show but saw a subsequent one. Was not impressed. Most of the characters seemed to be "trying to hard" and I didn't enjoy it. As for the cancellation... every action has a re-action. I believe in the cause and effect of karma (positive and negative). I feel bad for those putting out so much "hate", as they will eventually reap what they are sowing. We're just privy to some of Rosanne's quick harvest.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Do you think Samantha Bee will get her show canceled for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c***”?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Do you think Samantha Bee will get her show canceled for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c***”?
    No, I dont. She apologized anyway, being deeply sorry.

But just giving my own reaction, likening an African American person to an Ape is completely unacceptable while name calling using the C word does not rise to that level. One is a horrible inditement of an entire people, the other is just a trashy name for one (unpopular with liberal celebs) person.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-31-18 at 7:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    No, I dont. She apologized anyway, being deeply sorry.

But just giving my own reaction, likening an African American person to an Ape is completely unacceptable while name calling using the C word does not rise to that level. One is a horrible indightment of an entire people, the other is just a trashy name for one (unpopular) person.
    Surprisingly, I didn't know Valerie Jarrett was African American until this incident.

Being a free market kinda guy I think ABC/Disney and whoever Samantha Bee works for have every right to fire them if they believe their brand has been hurt by their words or actions. The interesting thing is to watch which celebrity becomes a pariah and which one is celebrated.

My wife told me today that since we'll have the grandkids over all weekend, she'll be fecklessly c*nting around the pool and organizing a cookout with them.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Roseanne blamed Ambien. I loved the pharma company response.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Roseanne blamed Ambien. I loved the pharma company response.
    yes, that was a great response! i'm just pissed at Barr for being so stupid. (and of course her tweet was
    reprehensible and ignorant, but hey, our prez says similar BS almost daily!) i watched every episode, and it
    was truly a fantastic reboot(like Will&Grace). it was funny, thoughtful, and depicted working-class America
    like no other. sad situation indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The interesting thing is to watch which celebrity becomes a pariah and which one is celebrated.
    I agree. Hopefully consensus will agree with Iris Lily that using a long running harshly racist comment like Rosanne did is far worse than just schoolyard name calling. If not then I guess we'll know that Trump has truly succeeded in his efforts to make racism cool again. I'm hopeful that he hasn't, but who knows, he's turned the family values party into the party that believes in tearing families apart if they come to our border seeking asylum so I suppose anything is possible.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    To me Samantha Bee and Roseanne Barr are the same type of comedian. Vulgar, mean and not funny. Appropriately Bee has lost sponsors. I could care if either was cancelled because I don’t find these trashy people funny or watch them. Howard Stern is another one.

You can’t be disgusted with King Trump for name calling then be shocked when someone whose political affiliation you agree with is called out.

Bee could have called her insensitive or a hypocrite, but that would not have generated publicity. It is all about money, not moral outrage for these big media syndicates. Whether it is vulgarity or sexual inappropriateness their eye is always on the bottom line. Don’t think for a second they care about people’s feelings.

I hadn't heard of this issue until last night when I was driving from Boston to Burlington and the only channel I could find was a conservative talk radio channel, and as you can imagine, the host was lambasting Samantha Bee.

While he was completely on the side of "look what those mean liberals are doing to the nice Trump family" I had to agree that Bee's comment was just nasty. Unfortunately social media stokes these memes, and sometimes I get so disappointed in some of my otherwise reasonable friends when they share on FB very unreasonable political soundbites. Our culture has become nothing but a playground of crude schoolyard bullies.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information