Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: would it upset you if,...

LOL, I know he says seriuosly that if it does happen it will NOT be may 21st, that conflicts with the idea that no one knows when their time is coming after all.

In further conversations he did say that h** will be filled with all sorts of people including church going types so I think we can agree on the idea that it is not up to other humans to decide where we are ending up. I don't actually believe in h** but I have my own ideas, I just know I can't fully tell where someone else is.

I don't have a good answer.

The best I can say to any rapture judgement talk is that there is a reason why judgement is reserved for the Lord only. We humans are all too likely to misinterpret what we think we hear and that does include the precise definition and applicability of Christianity.

It wouldn't upset me, per se, but it would definitely piss me off enough to remove them from my life. I cannot see how harboring such an attitude as that on a subject of faith isn't indicative of other negative and/or other holier-than-thou attitudes. But I would not hesitate to tell the individual that it is pretty arrogant and presumptuous of THEM to decide the fate of others when it is truly God's decision. I want someone who is my "partner" in life, not someone who thinks they are my judge and who thinks they are better than I am in any way.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It wouldn't upset me, per se, but it would definitely piss me off enough to remove them from my life. I cannot see how harboring such an attitude as that on a subject of faith isn't indicative of other negative and/or other holier-than-thou attitudes. But I would not hesitate to tell the individual that it is pretty arrogant and presumptuous of THEM to decide the fate of others when it is truly God's decision. I want someone who is my "partner" in life, not someone who thinks they are my judge and who thinks they are better than I am in any way.
    I think it really depends on how they say it, what their overall attitude is, and the relationship as a whole. Although my husband may think that way, he has never said that it is him judging me. Just based on his beliefs I wouldn't go to heaven. To him it's not really a grey area. It's a statement of fact but not a personal attack. Same as saying, "yes, you do have grey hair." I might take offense, but I try not to be offended at his version of the truth. But this only works for us, because in all areas he is one of the least judgmental people I've ever met. At least where I'm concerned. There were many instances where I thought he would think I was strange or make some kind of derogatory comment (when we were dating) and he never did. He always fully accepted me. Since we are very compatible in so many ways, this little thing wasn't going to stand in my way. And he was willing to marry me. In fact, his step-father, who is a very old fashioned pastor married us, without comment on my religion (or lack thereof). So that's good enough for me.

On the other hand, if this is just another incompatibility that one has found in a new relationship that has other issues, it definitely could be a major concern. You can only have so many areas where you disagree, before there will be trouble. And from what I recall of the OP's other posts, there are other compatibility issues between her and him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    But this only works for us,
    As long as it works for you - wonderful! It wouldn't work for me for exactly the reasons I already state. If my husband would think such a thought and even consider it "a statement of fact" - to me indicates he has made judgements and drawn conclusions about me that are not for him to make, but for the higher power to make.

ETA: He's free to come to any conclusions he wants about the status of his own salvation. :-)
    Last edited by happystuff; 5-15-11 at 4:16pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

heydude
    This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode in which Elaine's boyfriend does not think Elaine will go to heaven. She does not believe in heaven or hell. She tells him that he should be trying to "save" her so that she doesn't go to hell. He believes in the christian god and such and she does not.

I just think it is funny. She doesn't think there is a heaven but yet she is so mad that he is not trying to save her.

But wouldn't it bother you if you were constantly trying to be saved? If your bf really thinks you are going to hell, he'd probably be bugging you constantly about switching your belief system.

I think you can't get hung up on the two belief systems. You have yours. He has his. The only way for them to co-exist is for you two to not try to mesh them together. When you do, you get exactly this kind of weird thing where you believe his system HALF WAY in as much as it means you may be going to hell and then get mad he is not caring about that.

Look for love from him in other ways a part from religion.

As to afterlife...

My wife tells me she is coming back as a man in the next life so I had better come back as a woman.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by Madsen View Post
    It would definitely upset me. Comments like that are disrespectful. And even if he didn't make such explicit comments, I don't think people of such different faiths can ultimately make it work together. Religion for people who are religious is just too much of a big issue to ignore.
    Maybe she can convert him.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Reality religion is like politics. We must agree to disagree. I have a friend that protests that he is atheist. Several times the friend has made the statement thank god. We all believe in different things. My belief is in a power greater than us all and is the universe. I also believe that there are things that happen all around us all the time that I would consider rapturous. Anything that happens that takes thousands of lives whether manmade or by nature is a rapture. The rapture is to take to heaven if I remeber correctly those who are of a nature that would not be able to fight during the last days,armaggedon probably spelled it wrong,but that is my believe. Whether you believe during your life there is that last second chance to choose and if you don't it does not matter because you did not believe in it. Like voodoo it only works if YOU believe.

Sure - it would upset me. I'm not really interested in being romantically involved with someone who has so little sensitivity toward me that he would make jokes about me being sent to eternal perdition. Even if I DO think it's a bunch of horsesh**, it's not funny and shows a real lack of care imho. Just how I'd feel.

Thread Information