Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos and privacy

Personally I think it was reasonable of him to assume that it would be fine, but that it was also reasonable for you to say that it wasn't fine and ask him to take them down and not post more again.

Perhaps your husband could manage to take a photo of you like I did of SO at a party a while back. The people were too spread out so I used a panorama photo app that takes multiple pictures and automatically stitches them together. Apparently SO moved at just the perfect moment so I ended up with a picture that included his body but not his head. I posted it anyway and about 20 minutes later he happened to look at it and shouted "where's my head???" Another friend then took the picture, added the "drunk face" emoji where SO's head should have been and exclaimed "Fixed it!"

I'm pretty quick to remove tags of my name to my photo in any random photos from events I attend. The whole family knows to get my OK before they post a photo of me. I don't want any unflattering photos floating around.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Float On, you can actually set facebook so that all tags of you have to be reviewed and approved. The photo will still appear on your friend's timeline but without you tagged until (if) you say it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Float On, you can actually set facebook so that all tags of you have to be reviewed and approved. The photo will still appear on your friend's timeline but without you tagged until (if) you say it's ok.
    Thanks. I'll check my settings.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

But that doesn't work for those without facebook accounts.
    I have a relative, that thinks it is perfectly OK, to post any photo's from family events, that contain the image of a person who has done undercover work. They think it doesn't matter to their security, or the rest of the family (and this person once had a reward for their head).
    I read some case being discussed in Europe a couple years back, where they were working on rules that would prevent to the point of liability, a parents "right" to post images of their kids, as it could come back to hurt the kids in some way. While it would suck to have to sue your family, there may be no way of getting the point across, until that person is shot at.
    Stupid.

I don't think you're overly sensitive at all. I believe wholeheartedly in the right of privacy of others, which is breached as soon as you tag someone. I recently told my brother that if he tags another picture of me on FB, I'm deleting him from my friend list--mainly because when he's drunk he'll post an old family picture along with a picture of him at dive bar drunk and surrounded by half-naked women.

If you have an agreement with another person and they don't care, that's fine, but I never tag either pictures or names of my friends in posts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    But that doesn't work for those without facebook accounts.
    I have a relative, that thinks it is perfectly OK, to post any photo's from family events, that contain the image of a person who has done undercover work. They think it doesn't matter to their security, or the rest of the family (and this person once had a reward for their head).
    I read some case being discussed in Europe a couple years back, where they were working on rules that would prevent to the point of liability, a parents "right" to post images of their kids, as it could come back to hurt the kids in some way. While it would suck to have to sue your family, there may be no way of getting the point across, until that person is shot at.
    Stupid.
    Different scenario. Obviously anyone doing ‘spy’ work as the moron in chief would call it needs to be clear at any gathering of friends and/or family that no one should take his/her picture. Period. End of story. Anyone who wont respect that request should be punched really hard or at least avoided 100% of the time. The rest of us can pick some middle ground between no pics ever and any pics all the time with individual tagging.

Thanks for the feedback!

I feel this way completely. I hate having my picture taken, and when someone posts pictures on facebook that I am in I cringe, and have actually said to others that anyone should have permission before they can post another person's picture on facebook or other social media. I totally agree with OP.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Stupid.
    My DIL, a cybersecurity expert and a privacy nut, is absolutely rabid when it comes to photos of her kids. Her Brazilian mom had a priest come to her new home to bless it, and the grandson happened to be there, and when the poor priest innocently took a candid photo of the family, DIL accosted him. If I ever posted a picture of my grandkids, like the millions of posts my friends do of theirs, she would disown me. I used to think she was over the top, but I think she's merely protecting the innocent, and I can't blame her for that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information