Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos and privacy

Photos and privacy

Dh posted a bunch of photos of me and a lot of them were unflattering or just something I didn't want to share. I told him to ask my permission before posting photos of me, and he said he thought that was crazy - that he's posting about his life, and I'm part of it.

He'll let anyone belong to his Facebook & Instagram feeds.

He eventually agreed to ask me first.

Am I being over sensitive about this? I feel I should have control over my own image.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -- Gandalf

Yppej
    No you are not being oversensitive. When I was on Facebook my son wouldn't let me post pictures of him (teenage self-consciousness). My last boyfriend when I was on wouldn't either (found out he was a cheater and didn't want other women running across the pictures, though that is not the reason he gave me). If your marriage is a traditional monogamous one maybe make sure your husband knows your reasons and that they are not nefarious.

I did not put my photo on my FB profile but do have it on LinkedIn and hope I never get hit by an identity thief.

Wow, I would be really upset. You are not being oversensitive. I'd tell him he does not have my permission to post any photo of me, ever.

I think your request reasonable. I prefer to not have my photos on FB. I'm not one it and either is my spouse. Sometimes my (adult) kids will post on their site, and if I hear about it I ask them to delete the one with me in it. Gives me a (I am sure false) sense of privacy:-)

Most people ask me first but pictures are everywhere - Instagram twitter etc - I think Pandora’s box was opened years ago.

I can understand his wanting to share his life a little more "out loud" than you care to. I can understand DH making an effort to change your mind about publishing those pictures. I think if the pictures are of both of you or with family/friends and in public places there's a little less standing to bar publishing the pictures.

But, simply out of respect for you, if you don't want those pictures published, he should not publish them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I guess I'm the outlier here, because I would find your request a little strange. That being said, you certainly have the right to make the request and having done so, he should honor it (which it sounds like he has).

I don't blame you; you have a right to your privacy.

My son made the same request of me when he was in HS. I too felt at first that I was sharing the family but my relationship with him was more important. Since that first request there have been a couple of significant things occur and I have wanted to post. I always ask him first and if the answer is no...…. no means no.

Your husband should definitely ask first.

Thread Information