Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej
    A credit I didn't know I had was applied to one of my medical bills, so they came in under the accrued amount.

I have ignored my reminder for an annual eye exam since I stocked up on lenses last year. Also eye-related, I use eyedrops more frequently with all the spring allergens so to prevent the inevitable smearing I have stopped wearing mascara and do not miss it. If I wear the bright colors I like near my face it does not look washed out. This will save me some since I never like to keep mascara too long for hygiene reasons. So even without an exam I am babying my eyes a little.

Eye glass places here are always willing to just change the lenses. One pair of frames is 21 yo and 1 is 4. We are taking a 6 week driving trip Thursday and will only eat out 1 meal per day. The others will be out of our cooler. We always do this for 2 reasons: money and not wanting to gain weight)

Hubby has been between jobs for 6 weeks and finally started yesterday, so we've been tightening the belt a ton since then. Thank goodness for the deep freeze we got in March and subsequent stocking up on sale items. In the past month we've only needed to restock a few veggies from the store. I've gotten more creative with dishes, which I get a kick out of anyways. Since the stepson graduated highschool a few weeks ago it's been a little hairy, but we are doing okay.

Gotta admit, the emergency fund saved our butt!! I sure hate like heck seeing it go, but so very very grateful it was there when we needed it. I've been with the hubby for over a year now, and he used to be the type that if it was in his pocket he would spend it. It's taken some doing on my part to get him to see 'the light', lol. I had money set aside in advance for bills, which helped, plus I do this thing of saving all coins and ones, so we had that extra backup. Even had a couple $20's hidden in my purse. What can I say, I'm a saver. But with no income coming in the past month and half, yeah, but we didn't stress as bad as we could have. Will have a few weeks before checks start coming in, so the belt tightening will continue for sure. Right now, what cash left from the emergency fund will be for gas in his truck and any essential bills and food items.

I've contemplated getting a job, for a second anyways. I don't have summer classes (none available, if I could I would have), and class starts back Aug. 20th. When it does my class load is going to be horrendous. 3 of the 5 classes include labs, which is like an extra class and if recent lab classes is any indication, worse than a regular class. This past semester kicked me in the rear, like bad, with 2 labs. And then I've got to consider my wrist, broke it years ago, so bad it almost had to be fused, using it much for anything is extremely painful. Limited flexibility, shortened tendons, still have plate and screws in it, you get the picture. Anything jobwise around here I could get easy requires some physical exertion that my wrist can't hold up to, I've tried. Since the bills are fairly low already, and I do things around here that saves us money, we are pretty good on one income.

On to the food: Get to figure out how to stretch this huge bag of chicken quarters we nabbed for 29 cents a pound after it defrosts in the fridge. Will most likely roast it all, one dinner from that, shred the leftovers and make some sort of soup out of it, probably chicken enchilada soup which stretches to lots of lunch leftovers. My boys eat.a.lot. As for today, will see what I can throw into the crockpot.

Oh... the crockpot!! (sings praises) How I love thee!! Maybe a good hamburger stew.

You can also make casseroles with one pound of ground beef.

Yppej
    My gas station has an outdoor trash can by the pumps for customers. I have started putting smelly lunch remnants in there when I fill up to avoid going through so many trash bags in the summer heat.

Feels like absolutely no frugals right now for our household. If anything could have gone - requiring a payout of money - it has. Refrigerator died, two cars in shop within two weeks, dr bills on family member's detached retina surgery coming in, college payments, etc. etc. etc. Well, the saying goes "when it rains, it pours". Gotta laugh and nothing happens over the next three months to cover this month.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Got a few small items from the free table at work from a coworker who was decluttering.

Yppej: It's nice when that happens. Probably made your co-worker feel good too. Hope she wasn't one of the "mean girls!"
    I needed a couple of tank tops for the summer to wear underneath shirts. I got 2 that were exactly what I wanted at Savers for $3.50 each. Good brands and it doesn't look like they had ever even been worn.

Yppej
    No, the mean girls aren't into recycling/repurposing.

I'm home recovering from knee replacement. I go out 3x/week for PT and that's it right now. So I'm not spending any $.

We're eating in and our CSA started so no buying veggies now until late October! Why do they feel free? I did pay $634 for the season back in January. I spent a few weeks cooking up proteins for freezer storage and easy pull meal prep I can do in 15m or can coach hubby how-to. (I'm allowed to be up 20min every 2hours).

Once my bills roll in....it won't be frugal

Thread Information