Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: June Frugals

Can try some rain barrels as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can also make casseroles with one pound of ground beef.

Often ground beef can be stretched with texturized soy protein. I use unflavored TVP, but I could also pay more and get chicken or beef flavoring. Some other sources may be more competitively priced, but I buy the 2.25 lb can, "Honeyville Farms" brand, from Sherrco Products, Honeyville UT. www.honeyvillegrain.com The current price is $9.69 plus flat rate shipping of $4.99 for at total cost of $14.68. Cost per gram $0.0144. Cost per 25 gram serving $0.36

25 grams of soy protein (dry weight … before being cooked) contains Calories 70, Fat 0, Dietary Fiber 4g, Protein 13g.

Forgot--yesterday at a garage sale bought two tomato cages for 75 cents, and they are the nice brightly colored ones.
    Also a wonderful half size guitar for my granddaughter for 5 dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I buy the 2.25 lb can [at] $9.69 plus flat rate shipping of $4.99 for at total cost of $14.68..
    I must be missing something.

At $6.52 per pound of TVP (delivered), how is that stretching ground beef economically? I can understand using TVP instead of any ground beef. I can understand wanting to stretch organic grass-fed ground beef (which I've seen at $8.99 per pound at fancy supermarkets) though this product does not claim to be organically-grown. I can understand wanting to avoid the American factory-food system, particularly for ground beef. But I'm not seeing how the math works on this?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Our 97% lean ground beef is only 5/pound.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I must be missing something.

At $6.52 per pound of TVP (delivered), how is that stretching ground beef economically? I can understand using TVP instead of any ground beef. I can understand wanting to stretch organic grass-fed ground beef (which I've seen at $8.99 per pound at fancy supermarkets) though this product does not claim to be organically-grown. I can understand wanting to avoid the American factory-food system, particularly for ground beef. But I'm not seeing how the math works on this?

I think serving sizes may help explain. The cost of a 25 gram serving TVP (dry weight... cooking increases weight and volume of TVP) is 36 cents. In comparison the serving size for 75% lean ground beef is 4 oz (112 grams) raw weight before cooking. At the nearest Aldi store to me, their "weekly special" price is $1.79 per lb for 73% lean ground beef. The cost of 4 oz would be about 45 cents. Ground beef at other stores when not a "weekly special" would generally be priced higher than $1.79 per lb.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I think serving sizes may help explain.
    There we go! I was not accounting for the lack of moisture in the TVP. Thanks for the guidance!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information