Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej

June Frugals

I didn't too well in May. The one bright spot was making another year's Roth IRA deposit including catchup contribution.

Good luck to us all in June.

the Roth contribution is a big win and frugal because it helps you later.

I “hacked” (impeovised) potted plants around our garden
    for today’s garden tour.

I bought very little in annuals, put those few in the middle of the pots, and added cut ivies, ferns, iris leaves from my garden to fill them out. They will last two days and that is all I care about.

We are not home for days at a time to water pots, so I dont want a lot of potted plants aroud here. DH has his pots, but that is up to him to water.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-2-18 at 5:38pm.

Yppej
    I am toughing out the heat without A/C or fans. The high 80's/low 90's streak should break tonight.

That's a good hack, IL. I have four tall containers and I was pondering whether I could hack them or not. It isn't cheap to go to the garden center and fill them like I want, but on the other hand, we are here all the time and they can be a nice focal point, and so perhaps worth the expense. And one has only so many summers.
    We need a new boiler, which I'm sure will be expensive. We also need to think about whether we want to switch over from oil to gas while we're at it. If anyone has any wisdom to share on the subject, please jump right in!

Yppej: Why no fans? They are a pretty low cost solution.

Yppej
    The ceiling fan has an annoying squeak. I need to oil it, another item on my to do list I haven't gotten to yet.

We're still eating meatloaf leftovers from last Monday's dinner. It will be gone tonight. Along with finishing up: salad mix, tomatoes, a large cucumber.

We didn't go out for breakfast at our favorite breakfast spot at the cabin. Omelettes and the last of the 10grain whole wheat bread I made last Sunday.

Snacks: pita chips and hummus-it's nearly gone as well.

Tomorrow: we'll finish the last of the 2w old farm fresh eggs, alongside buckwheat pancakes and some sausage that was in the freezer.

Our only expense this weekend away is the gas to get here

I have my knee replacement Wednesday so then all bets are off for frugality

My DH had this incredibly ugly Budweiser t-shirt that someone had given to him and he had never even worn it. I sold it on eBay for $65! Woo hoo! We are just so amazed that anyone would even want it, let alone pay $65 for it! (Picture enclosed so you can judge for yourself).
    I found a pair of sunglasses in the woods and gave them to him. Turns out they are $200 sunglasses. I told him I wanted to take them and sell on eBay, but he wants to keep them and said he is going to hide them so I don't sell his sunglasses, lol.
    We finished shredding leaves and spreading them in the garden, so free mulch.
    DSIS is seriously working on her finances at last, so there has been less recreational shopping and that is great for me as well.
    IMG_1222.jpg

Yppej
    Today was a no spend day and my only driving was about 3 miles to get the lug nuts retorqued after a tire rotation yesterday that was included with the cost of the tires.

Kind of a slow month for frugals considering it's almost half over.

- I think I mentioned in another Frugal thread that we had to file an amended tax return because our mortgage lender issued a revised 1098 after we'd filed (and after they'd sent the original). We're getting $127 back because of that -- and the accountant is not charging us because they had to change one entry on a form, reprint it, and send it to us (very little time involved).
    - With an empty freezer I now have started stocking up on sale items.
    - Found an optician who actually will replace the lenses in my existing frames. Most places I've been to won't even try it. The frames I'm wearing have been discontinued by the manufacturer but they're still in fine shape. New frames cost a minor fortune (locally; with my prescription I'm not eager to try mail-order like Warby Parker or Zenni) so I'll save the price of frames and finally enjoy sharper vision.
    - Got a free T-shirt (which I actually will wear) and a $5 Amazon gift card for donating platelets.
    - Went to a celebration of life at a restaurant near here. They charge $5 for parking in their lot, but refund the $5 if you buy food or drink at the restaurant. I had an adult beverage and I was given my $5 back, so my outlay was $1.50 plus tip (the tip was larger than usual partly because the restaurant subsidized it and because the waitress took some time to show me my options).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information