Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej
    Got a notice that each of the next 5 years water bills will be going up as the city continues to try to meet EPA requirements for separation of sewage from stormwater. I guess Trump and Pruitt haven't gutted that environmental regulation.

I am continuing to use a gift card I received for groceries. Other than herbs the garden hasn't produced anything yet, although I have watered it. With water rates going up next year it may not be worth it to garden. It is dry so much more of the time than it used to be in years past. Even the squash look pathetic and usually anyone can grow zucchini.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Got a notice that each of the next 5 years water bills will be going up as the city continues to try to meet EPA requirements for separation of sewage from stormwater. I guess Trump and Pruitt haven't gutted that environmental regulation.

I am continuing to use a gift card I received for groceries. Other than herbs the garden hasn't produced anything yet, although I have watered it. With water rates going up next year it may not be worth it to garden. It is dry so much more of the time than it used to be in years past. Even the squash look pathetic and usually anyone can grow zucchini.
    we are thinking about i pnstalling a separate “garden only” water line and meter in Hermann. There is no need to pay for sewer service on this water that doesnt go through the sewer system. That initial installatin will be expensive, but maybe worth it? Who knows.

Yppej
    Let me know how you make out with that IL if you decide to do it. I did not know there was such an option.

I walked down to the center of town yesterday for a little fair, the annual Strawberry Festival. I bought a Hosta plant for $2.00. I also got a beautiful little metal watering can with a wonderful patina. I asked the seller how much, and she asked what I was willing to pay. I was thinking 10 and about to offer 5 when she asked if 2 would be acceptable. It certainly was! I actually felt a little guilty afterwards, but I guess I paid her asking price.

Amassed some more frugals:
    - The battery in DW's car was leaking. Brought it in to the place that sold it to us; still has a warranty after a year and a half (not all do). Exchanged and all is well; the little extra we spent on their better battery paid off.
    - The brake-fluid-low light on my car came on the other day. I was going to go to the auto parts store to buy some fluid and DIY but I drove past our mechanic's and decided to stop to make an appointment to have the system flushed and refilled (it was overdue anyway) and he topped it off for free -- which beat buying a quart of brake fluid and a long funnel (which I don't have) to add it myself.
    - Another rebate check from AAA insurance for joining AAA. Apparently the car and home insurance "wings" of the building don't know about each other. Anyway, this more than offset the cost of joining AAA and when your two cars have a combined age of 23 that's not a bad thing.
    - DW got a gift certificate to her favorite quick-service restaurant so we enjoyed dinner out last night for free and there's enough left on the card to buy her another lunch.
    - The Red Cross sent me an Amazon gift card for responding to a special plea for platelet donors. That brings my Amazon "bank" over $40 (consider it mad money or buy something a little better than I would have afforded otherwise). It does kinda raise an interesting response, though, to the standard Red Cross question "Have you ever been paid for donating blood?" "Well, not exactly..."
    - Not only does the local coffee chain offer a $1-2 discount for bringing in your own container for beans, but on weekends beans are $2/pound cheaper than they are the rest of the week. To some extent the total amount off seems to be dependent on who's behind the counter, but it's still a good discount on excellent coffee.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Most of our veggies from CSA for 3 weeks now. I just picked all the lettuce in the garden (that the birds didn't eat-little buggers). There's enough for 3 huge dinner salads for each of us. I did have DH buy a bag of broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh strawberries at Costco when he went yesterday...we were out of organic chicken breast and organic ground beef so we needed those too.

After he attends the pro-family march at the capital this afternoon, we're headed to our cabin in the mountains. Me and my knee need a change in scenery after 3w in this house! He took next week off so we'll be gone 9 days!

The birds and heat got most of our zucchini plants and the organic nursery was out. They told me to buy seed and start new plants because it's a short growth veggie. So these have been started. It's very expensive to buy enough zucchini at Farmers' Market for all the ratatouille I make every fall! We had to do it 2y ago.

I needed some new clothes for my upcoming retreat that were not cotton for all the outdoor programs. I have 3 pair of hiking pants that I can slide off without undoing the button or zipper. I got a hoodie, 2 t shirts and a pair of pants (small even) that totaled $46. I probably need a pair of convertible hiking pants and will invest some money on those but i also support good business and wear them a lot

Yppej
    June came in $45.38 over budget which included $1324.47 for vacation, but this is sort of cheating because all my monthly bills come in the last week of the month and I wrote out the checks today so they hit July's budget. My previous vacation was $1586.02 plus airfare so this was a cheaper trip, though the next one may go up some. My son really stressed out staying with relatives some of the time vs. a hotel.

IL, can you just put in a well and run the garden off of that?
    Yppej, good job on an inexpensive vacation. I would not stay with relatives either, as it is not very relaxing, and that's what a vacation is for, to relax.

We had a big frugal moment last week, sold my dad's old truck that he gave to my husband 8 years ago. The truck was 36 years old. It made me incredibly sad--I already stopped him from selling it once, but this time I let him do it. It went to a wonderful man who plans to restore it. We really can't afford to keep fixing it every time it breaks, and there is much life left in it. It made me so sad, but the frugal part came when we called the insurance--it seems to be dropping our insurance around 600 dollars a year. So that's good. . .

Yppej
    I'm glad you found someone who will appreciate the truck. Win win - for him and you.

Thread Information