Thread: Mexico lover, prefer the small quiet places, not tourist traps

Mexico lover, prefer the small quiet places, not tourist traps

Hi
    My husband and I have been going to Mexico each Feb./Mar. for about 15 years. We've done the all inclusive thing three times and you can keep it. It's not for us. We like the smaller ocean front places, off the beaten path, that gringos go to but not the average tourist. Mom and pop restaurants and hotels are our preference. We travel only with backpacks as we have no desire to slug around big suitcases that weigh more than we do!

I'm very good at finding air fare deals and hotel deals!

I'd love to talk about Mexico with those of a similar mind set.

Yppej
    And here I thought the Bahamas were your place.

I would fly into Oaxaca, enjoy it for awhile and then head out to the beach areas. They are somewhat hard to get to and not used by people for day trips so this limits hoards of tourists.

I loved Oaxaca! Friends rented a house there for the winter a few yrs ago and my husband and I went to stay with them for 3 weeks. We had a great time and would go there again. A very walkable city.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    And here I thought the Bahamas were your place.
    Haha! Funkynassau is a song from the Blues Brothers 2000 movie!

A must go place is Merida, in the state of Yucatan. You will love the cheap old hotels, I can recommend good ones. Try to get one near downtown, walking distance from Plaza Grande. I would say take an air conditioned bus from Cancun, about $30 or less if you book a bit ahead. 5 hours trip. You could go from Oaxaca too but it would be a longer trip. But you could split it up to make it more tolerable. There is an airport in Merida also.

Thread Information