Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unemployment: Just sayin'

2 of my sons liv in Wichita Kansas which is dirt cheap. Someone making 9/hour can rent a small house or nice apartment and not be strapped for money.

My son and daughter in law just moved down a few weeks ago. Both had jobs lined up before they arrived, no problem and good pay. They can’t afford to live in the same neighborhood as us, but can afford something very nice a few miles out.

Allegiant Air is building a new waterfront development across the harbor so that area will be booming soon. And they are buying my equity in the golf club I just joined for a big windfall for me. So the economy down here is booming. The only downside is housing cost are rising. But my 34 yr old kids family will still be able to afford a newer 2200 sq ft or so house with a pool.

Yppej
    The impact on me is traffic is worse and it is hard to find contractors to do small residential jobs.

No inflationary pressures have pushed up my savings rates.

I do feel if my employer let me go I could find something else. I do not feel trapped as I have in years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The impact on me is traffic is worse and it is hard to find contractors to do small residential jobs.

No inflationary pressures have pushed up my savings rates.

I do feel if my employer let me go I could find something else. I do not feel trapped as I have in years past.
    its definatly hard to find someone to do small jobs around here also. I have noticed my money market rates at Vanguard have risen. They are now 1.9%, while not high, better than the 0.5% they were not to long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think it's usually ridiculous to give much credit or blame to presidents for the favor of the economic gods, especially during their administration. I think it may be our way of simplifying complex systems and allowing us to scapegoat or lionize a single figure. The more conspiracy-inclined might also offer up the Fed, "banksters" or their billionaire of choice as the hero/culprit.

In my State of Wisconsin the May unemployment rate of 2.8% is about 1% below the national average. Anecdotally, I am being told that it could go even lower if people with the needed skills and sobriety were available.
    Yeah, and Walker is bringing Foxconn at a cost of billions of dollars to supply jobs that WI can’t fill.... and negating EPA regulations (for a foreign company no less) and this company needs 7 million gallons of water PER DAY to operate. Just read they were supposed to build large LCD screens and are now reneging and building small screens. This is one example of a poor Republican! The WI roads are literally falling apart and he gives a $100 credit to each child in the state. I don’t get it! Trying to buy votes? That money does little for the parents but costs taxpayers how much? Trump wants to emulate some of Walker’s policies..... We are in a world of hurt!

the job market seems crazy, it feels like you have to be a genius to get a job and p.s. know everything, and well I'm not one and don't. I guess non-geniuses aren't meant to work anymore. okay.
    Trees don't grow on money

So, I went out with dh yesterday and looked hard for more economic indicators.

the local hardware store now closes at 6 on saturdays.

home depot had only self check lanes open with one employee watching them. No line. We did encounter several non-busy employees on the sales floor however.

we passed a billboard informing us that a company I have never heard of in a town 40 minutes away is hiring. Dh said he thinks they are manufacturing. McDonald’s is also hiring.

traffic on the “main drag” was light. A house mixed in to the commercial frontage was being torn down.

Yppej
    Lots of retail establishments have help wanted signs. There seems to be an especially high demand for auto mechanics.

Thinking about what would drive a high demand for auto mechanics:
    auto mechanics in your area are not paid well enough? - bad economic indicator
    people are keeping older cars longer and needing them fixed more - bad economic/quality of life indicator
    Fewer people have skills to fix their own cars - not economics
    more people are willing to pay to have their cars fixed instead of doing it themselves - good economic indicator

what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Thinking about what would drive a high demand for auto mechanics:
    auto mechanics in your area are not paid well enough? - bad economic indicator
    people are keeping older cars longer and needing them fixed more - bad economic/quality of life indicator
    Fewer people have skills to fix their own cars - not economics
    more people are willing to pay to have their cars fixed instead of doing it themselves - good economic indicator

what do you think?
    I don't know how old your cars are CL, but we haven't been able to work on our own since 1991. computer driven everything and oil changes were/are a royal pain in the arse d/t difficult access. Now, when we had a 1969 Camero and a 1970 Chevelle? we did it all!

Thread Information