Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Paying Off Big Debt - June 2018

Totally agree that it would be a bad idea to caretake your parents. This is your time to enjoy. Do the things you and your husband didn’t have time for, etc. I hope you can find a affordable home that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, we just got back from dealing with parents' house and the nursing home, so we are waiting to catch our breath and then see if we can't buy something this fall in New England. A couple of great candidates, and I have concluded I can't handle moving to my parents to take care of them, even though dad kind of offered us their house. But I have two brothers who feel lots of ownership of the house, and I do not want them on my back or telling me what to do in my own house--it just won't work. If I were an only child or supportive siblings, I would do it. I am not up to bringing them home to live there with us, as they need more care than I can handle, and I do not think they would be cooperative if they were back in their own home again. (Last summer, for example, my mom, who has dementia, got herself on the new zero turn mower and crashed herself into the side of the house and was apparently black and blue on one side of her body--but no one ever let us know of this.) My dad will go back to drinking if he goes home and then the falls and extreme self neglect will begin again, except that I will be expected to caretake for them, referee, fix their giant house, mow the acreage--anyway, I am not volunteering for this as it will not work and my brothers will come along and either tell me what I am doing wrong or sue me, depending on which brother.

It would also end my marriage.

So, that has freed us up of this idea, that we move into their house. I cannot and will not do that.

I'd rather have a mortgage than be the family slave, which is where this was headed.
    It sounds like you have made the best decision for you and your family, so at least Step 1 is checked off. It is truly a difficult decision, but I think yours is well thought out. I wish you the best in Step 2, Tybee, and I hope that you do find the house that's right for you in New England.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the support!

I am so glad my father-in-law’s situation was resolved without rancor amoung the siblings. DH’s little brother had made noise about making sure his dad never went into nursing care and he would stay “a few months” if necessary to keep that from happening. But when FIL beoke his hip and is now unable to walk, that quickly and irrefuteably squelched the idea of a “few months” of care in FIL’s home. FIL is permenantly in a wheelchair.

None of the other siblings would have stepped up to be caregivers, not because there is family ill will but because they all have their own lives and know their limits. It is such a relief that no one amoung the 5 siblings is dictating what everyone else must do.

DH’s siblings really have always been practical and easy to get along with.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    None of the other siblings would have stepped up to be caregivers, not because there is family ill will but because they all have their own lives and know their limits. It is such a relief that no one amoung the 5 siblings is dictating what everyone else must do.
    It's ironic that when there is a sibling dictating like that, it's almost always the sibling furthest away with the least "investment" in what got the cared-for to that point...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Paid on the car and the loan again. Less than $900 left on the car.

Ejchase, how are you doing?

one of my kids needs a little extra help this month, so I only paid $200 on the car. I can wait a little longer to pay it off.

CL, I found that when my kids were younger and recently launched they needed occasional help and we always did.

Thankfully, both kids haven't needed help since launching - with the exception of the one who came back home for a spell.

How can the same set of parents raise two children so diversely different in so many ways! The same child is dangerously walking a debt lifestyle.

We have gifted generously, and I suspect they are anticipating holiday gifts ($$$) to offset expenses.

I forced the help on this one.

we are still subsidizing the youngest (22) for health insurance and phone, but she just got promoted at work (after 4 months on the job!) and there is a plan to taper her off. The health insurance is a little annoying, because she can stay on dh insurance until she is 26. However, because her employer offers health insurance, we have to pay a premium to keep her in dh’s. If her employer did not offer health insurance, she would still be included on ours at no extra cost. Her employer’s insurance is not as good and the payroll deduction for her part of the cost would be more than the premium we are paying. So.... eventually, she will pay the premium. She will also take over the phone, but we are gifting her a year on that. She just finished paying off her car.

she is getting boots and baking dishes for Christmas.

Thread Information