Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paying Off Big Debt - June 2018

Thanks, Everybody, for the support!

It sounds like you're making good progress too, Chicken Lady!

Ejchase, how are things going?

i made my car payment and the extra on the house this last paycheck.

i still owe 1,373.89 on the car. (Plus almost $6.50/month in interest. ) i’m on target to pay it off in January though, so it will only cost me about another $20. Not pleased, but there it is. The amount is going down, so the $6.50 will too...

We just paid off the car we had a loan on.

I just paid off my car loan, 27 months early on a 5 yr loan. Woot!
    Amazing how adding a couple hundred a month takes it down real fast.
    Now all that amount can go in savings every month.

Congratulations on the car loan payoffs!

It's encouraging to see so many people get rid of big loans!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    It sure is! We just paid of a self loan from my husband's 401k and it feels really good. so out of debt for now; will probably take on a mortgage this fall due to advance our strategy to move closer to family.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    It sure is! We just paid of a self loan from my husband's 401k and it feels really good. so out of debt for now; will probably take on a mortgage this fall due to advance our strategy to move closer to family.

T, how is the house hunting going?

Well, we just got back from dealing with parents' house and the nursing home, so we are waiting to catch our breath and then see if we can't buy something this fall in New England. A couple of great candidates, and I have concluded I can't handle moving to my parents to take care of them, even though dad kind of offered us their house. But I have two brothers who feel lots of ownership of the house, and I do not want them on my back or telling me what to do in my own house--it just won't work. If I were an only child or supportive siblings, I would do it. I am not up to bringing them home to live there with us, as they need more care than I can handle, and I do not think they would be cooperative if they were back in their own home again. (Last summer, for example, my mom, who has dementia, got herself on the new zero turn mower and crashed herself into the side of the house and was apparently black and blue on one side of her body--but no one ever let us know of this.) My dad will go back to drinking if he goes home and then the falls and extreme self neglect will begin again, except that I will be expected to caretake for them, referee, fix their giant house, mow the acreage--anyway, I am not volunteering for this as it will not work and my brothers will come along and either tell me what I am doing wrong or sue me, depending on which brother.

It would also end my marriage.

So, that has freed us up of this idea, that we move into their house. I cannot and will not do that.

I'd rather have a mortgage than be the family slave, which is where this was headed.

Thread Information