Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermann work continues

Hermann work continues

Our deforestation work continues. Here is DH this morning, felling another tree. This one was shading his veggies garden.
    I wont tell you how many trees have come down so far, it will make several of you tree huggers anxious.

we have a white mulberry producing fruit right now. We have not had one of those ever. A regular red mulberry and a cherry are in bloom, these are mature trees. DH planted 20 fruit trees.

9DC96834-C3BE-434F-8CE5-3DE3B364FF00.jpg51E363C4-FE7A-4FA6-8216-818F91D9EE9C.jpg

That's hard work! What will you do with the wood?

I giggle because I tip my tablet, and Mr Lily spins around! This photo thing is crazy. Can't get him upright!

As tree hugger who has planted thousands of of trees over the decades and still plants trees everywhere, I also recognize that too much shade is a problem. Looking out my picture window at all the activity in the neighbours's row of mature spruce, I do wonder about all the critters who used to occupy all the trees being cut down?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't get anxious about you guys cutting trees because you know what you're doing. But are you getting signals from your neighbors?

Over the last 33 years in our house we've cut down two trees: a small tree with red blossoms (I don't even know what kind it was) that had faded under the shade of our ash tree, and a poplar that died, and had stood for a couple of years absolutely leafless.

In the first case, my neighbor came over and did a fake wiping her eyes after we took down the tree in the front. And another neighbor also expressed dismay that we took down the DEAD tree. because her son liked to look out the window at it.

But then OTOH there are the people in my neighborhood who got spooked after the snowstorm that downed limbs all over the place in March and they decided to remove almost all the trees on their property. And they topped a pine, which now looks ridiculous. Those are the people that make me anxious for trees. Not you guys.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I do wonder about all the critters who used to occupy all the trees being cut down?
    After my neighbor's big oak came down we heard new noises in the attic and believe its a squirrel - different sounds on a different schedule than mice or the stray chipmunk or mole we have had in the past. I don't know how it gets in and out of the house - not through loose flashing as that was redone.

The plus is whatever it is has scared away all the mice.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    That's hard work! What will you do with the wood?

I giggle because I tip my tablet, and Mr Lily spins around! This photo thing is crazy. Can't get him upright!
    He cuts tree tr ks into sections. While we do have a fireplace in Hermann, the chimney doesnt draw very well and besides, I want to convert it to gas. So we will give away the fire wood.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    As tree hugger who has planted thousands of of trees over the decades and still plants trees everywhere, I also recognize that too much shade is a problem. Looking out my picture window at all the activity in the neighbours's row of mature spruce, I do wonder about all the critters who used to occupy all the trees being cut down?
    i know, we are displacing wildlife. The past two owners of this property were big into birds. I am not.

Re: neighbors.

someone called the cops today on DH for burning brush. I am sure it is annoying to someone, its unfortunate. We will have to likely get a permit in the future for burning small limbs and leaves. Also, his chain saw is probably annoying to some people, too.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Re: neighbors.

someone called the cops today on DH for burning brush. I am sure it is annoying to someone, its unfortunate. We will have to likely get a permit in the future for burning small limbs and leaves. Also, his chain saw is probably annoying to some people, too.
    That is why I see so many people buying those firepits for outside.

Was burning the brush legal in the area at the time? It is not here.

I put up with my neighbor's bbq smoke drifting into my windows (we are built close) because I love my neighbors. But I have often had to go around closing all my windows. With my asthma, I would have some significant health reactions to burning brush.

His chain saw cannot be any more annoying than the leaf blowers used at the condos across the street. They can go on for an hour at a time.

Thread Information