Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hermann work continues

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    His chain saw cannot be any more annoying than the leaf blowers used at the condos across the street. They can go on for an hour at a time.
    But just because they can doesn't mean they should.

I'll give chain saws more of a pass because they do something almost nothing else can. But leaf blowers ... I wouldn't mind so much if they cut cleanup time significantly, but based on the length of time I hear my neighbor using his, it's not saving him a minute.

However, this is the same guy who has one of those big no-pipe motorcycles. So maybe he simply has a thing for gratuitous noise.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    But just because they can doesn't mean they should.

I'll give chain saws more of a pass because they do something almost nothing else can. But leaf blowers ... I wouldn't mind so much if they cut cleanup time significantly, but based on the length of time I hear my neighbor using his, it's not saving him a minute.

However, this is the same guy who has one of those big no-pipe motorcycles. So maybe he simply has a thing for gratuitous noise.

Well, DH’s chain saw goes on and off all day on the days he is there so it is annoying. We are very annoying neighbors, no doubt.

dH says “but we are cleaning up, the place, that is good for the block” but
    I see the point of neighbors which is

1) They didnt mind the grove of junk trees/dead trees
    2) they wish we would act like normal Americans and hire all of the work done within 2-3days, rather than spread it out for months and even years, doing it ourselves

I think we are a little too Germanic even for this German town, where they are tight with their money and do work themselves

At our last house, we cut down quite a few trees that were dying or in danger of falling over. There is a law there that a city arborist has to OK cutting down any tree over a certain trunk size. And a steep fine if you do without permission. The new neighbors in a hood always get a lot of scrutiny. I know we sure have...what are those crazy Texans doing now!!! Conversely, I think they're nuts for watering their lawns twice a day.

If the trees are dead taking them down is the only thing you can do. We have 3 beautiful fruit trees in our backyard that I have a love/hate relationship. I love them for the beauty and shade they provide. I hate all the flowers they drop plus many years if it warms up too early and then gets cold we don’t get fruit worth eating but have to constantly pick up tiny pieces of fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    If the trees are dead taking them down is the only thing you can do. We have 3 beautiful fruit trees in our backyard that I have a love/hate relationship. I love them for the beauty and shade they provide. I hate all the flowers they drop plus many years if it warms up too early and then gets cold we don’t get fruit worth eating but have to constantly pick up tiny pieces of fruit.
    Most of them are not dead, a few are dying with tops dead, many are junk trees like locuts and mimosas and Strangely, no Alienthus which is the super junk tree i
    here in the city.

Sadly we took down a perfectly healthy young ash tree because it was in the line of trees to come down but more importantly, with ash borer disease coming to Hermann in 3 years, it will be a goner then. So sad.

We do have some really fine big old trees around the house, one an astonishing big cypress on the north side which is good because I couldn't growmuch there anyways.

We are on the top of a hill and lightning hits these trees often, so some are damaged due to that.

I do wonder what happens when we remove these trees, lighening rods. Seems like the strikes will come closer to our house hitting the big shade yrees.

Thread Information