Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to Key West, Cuba, and Port Canaveral

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cruise to Key West, Cuba, and Port Canaveral

Hi all:

I just got back from a week long vacation. 4 days was a cruise (first day at sea, second day in Key West, third day in Havana, Cuba, fourth day at sea). And three days was at an Air BnB in Port Canaveral about a 10 minute walk to the beach.

The cruise was a very interesting experience. I would do it again...

Glad you enjoyed it. We love to cruise

We love cruising, too. How was Cuba? I'm actually having dinner tonight with my SIL, and she has recently been. It will likely be our dinner table topic..

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    We love cruising, too. How was Cuba? I'm actually having dinner tonight with my SIL, and she has recently been. It will likely be our dinner table topic..
    Well, I only went to Havana, and just for a day.

But it was interesting. We did a guided walking tour of Old Havana and then a classic car tour of greater Havana. I brought back two bottles of rum, a pack of coffee, and one cigar. These are just going to be gifts for friends.

Yppej
    I guess you won't be paying off 37% of your debt anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I enjoy baiting you spend-shamers.

What is that about?

Yppej
    I am comparing him to ejchase (different thread).

In the past UL's extensive international travels whilst he has significant debts have led some here to question his commitment to simple living as most define it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

In the past UL's extensive international travels whilst he has significant debts have led some here to question his commitment to simple living as most define it.
    Simple living is defined in many ways, and people have different simple living goals: From Wikipedia:

Simple living encompasses a number of different voluntary practices to simplify one's lifestyle. These may include, for example, reducing one's possessions, generally referred to as minimalism, or increasing self-sufficiency. Simple living may be characterized by individuals being satisfied with what they have rather than want.[1][2] Although asceticism generally promotes living simply and refraining from luxury and indulgence, not all proponents of simple living are ascetics.[3] Simple living is distinct from those living in forced poverty, as it is a voluntary lifestyle choice.

Adherents may choose simple living for a variety of personal reasons, such as spirituality, health, increase in quality time for family and friends, work–life balance, personal taste, financial sustainability, frugality, or reducing stress. Simple living can also be a reaction to materialism and conspicuous consumption. Some cite socio-political goals aligned with the environmentalist, anti-consumerist or anti-war movements, including conservation, degrowth, social justice, and tax resistance.[4]

So, I believe that reducing debt is one good way to live a simple life, but not necessarily the definitive one. We know that UL is a devout minimalist--while others here may have no debt but many possessions. Many of us pursue simple living for other reasons. Personally, I have debt, but I am interested in the environmental and spiritual aspects of simple living.

To each his own.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ...spiritual aspects of simple living.
    This alone is a legitimate form of simple living.

Thread Information