Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise to Key West, Cuba, and Port Canaveral

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The average American has been to 3 nations. 29% of US citizens have never been out of the country.
    The average American has a smart phone, a TV, a house they cannot afford, bad taste in music, books, films, and art, and is obese. I'd rather be a better-than average American. But suit yourself, champ.

And that, Yppej, is what is known as a rhetorical smack-down!

I'm better than the average american in that I don't fly at all.
    Trees don't grow on money

I go to Key West often, but never made it to Cuba. Not sure on all the rules involved.

I of coarse fly myself down, i live 5 to 10 minutes to my hangar , and it’s a hour flight. Then maybe 15 minutes to Mallory Square by cab.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I'm better than the average american in that I don't fly at all.
    i either fly myself or take the airlines for any trip that would take more than a couple of hours to drive. Weather permitting . Driving takes way to much time.

i have gone on a few cruises, they were OK. Most of my boat trips now are local.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    And that, Yppej, is what is known as a rhetorical smack-down!
    No, it's known as snobbery. You are better than other Americans who can't do the elitist things you do, like international travel, because they are too busy struggling to pay for housing costs while also subsidizing your student loans through a special program. And in years to come you as a public sector employee will be enjoying a pension while they still struggle in their golden years. You call yourself an old style liberal. News flash - it is backlash against condescending liberals like you that got Donald Trump elected. For instance, what gives you the right to bodyshame overweight individuals? Or judge the music, book, film and art tastes of others?

Thankfully not all liberals are like you. Some care about things like housing affordability instead of blaming the victims.

ETA: a lot of folks in the Trump demographic have not had the privilege of attending college, but have subsidized your numerous degrees. Have you ever thanked them?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The average American has a smart phone, a TV, a house they cannot afford, bad taste in music, books, films, and art, and is obese. I'd rather be a better-than average American. But suit yourself, champ.
    Reposting so you cannot edit away your condescension.

Alright, until now I have just been goofing on you. But now I will respond more seriously.

No, it's known as snobbery. You are better than other Americans who can't do the elitist things you do, like international travel, because they are too busy struggling to pay for housing costs while also subsidizing your student loans through a special program.
    You spend-shaming me is its own form of snobbery. You know that, right?

What, really, is wrong with working hard to be better than average? Should we all aim right for the middle? What about all those people who are less than average? They probably resent the average people. Maybe we should all try to be below average, will that satisfy you? Maybe the people who are physically stronger than average should have weights attached to them to make them only as strong as an average person?

I can afford to travel internationally once in a while because I live a minimalist lifestyle. I don't own a cell phone. My car was the least expensive one on the market in 2012. I walk to work. I don't shop recreationally. I don't have kids. My hobbies are reading old books, fishing from the shore, and (lately) drawing pictures -- all inexpensive. These are just some examples.

And in years to come you as a public sector employee will be enjoying a pension while they still struggle in their golden years.
    No, I don't have a pension. I have something like a 401k.

You call yourself an old style liberal. News flash - it is backlash against condescending liberals like you that got Donald Trump elected.
    No, actually people who voted for Trump got Trump elected. The electoral college racket helped too.

For instance, what gives you the right to bodyshame overweight individuals? Or judge the music, book, film and art tastes of others?
    What gives me the right? The first amendment! The same thing that gives you the right to yammer on about how resentful you are that I am in a Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. The same thing that gives you the right to spout off about how bitter you are about me traveling to other countries once in a while.

Thankfully not all liberals are like you. Some care about things like housing affordability instead of blaming the victims.
    Uh... You cannot be serious. I have always voted for liberals. I worked on campaigns to register more liberals to vote and to get-out-the-vote. I also interned and worked full time for labor unions fighting for living wages for working people. I worked for a labor union of immigrant construction workers in Arizona during the reign of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. I organized food service workers in inner city Philly. I was a student activist during the successful bus drivers' strike at the University of Alabama -- which got the drivers a pay raise and increase in benefits in their first contract.

My boots have been on the ground for years and years. They have mud and grit all over them. Let me see your boots.

I support: universal healthcare, better funding of public schools, fair housing, civil liberty, GLBTQIIA rights, free speech, public transportation, workers' rights, environmental protection.

I am a dyed in the wool old school liberal. Deal with it!

ETA: a lot of folks in the Trump demographic have not had the privilege of attending college, but have subsidized your numerous degrees. Have you ever thanked them?
    I did not have the privilege of going to college. Why do you think I took out the loans? Everyone -- even you -- can take out these loans. I took out way too many. I was nearly totally financially illiterate when I was in my late teens and on through my early 30s.

Thanked them? Uh... no. My taxes go to pay for kids' schools. But I don't expect parents to thank me. My taxes go to pay for your roads. But I don't expect you to thank me. My taxes go to pay for the loans that other students will receive and hopefully be forgiven for because of their pubic service. And I do not expect them to thank me.

I don't like to talk about this sort of thing, but I think it is warranted to make a point here. Some of the fundraising work I do for the university (as a demonized public employee) goes to cancer research and treatment programs, for instance. But I do not expect those treated for cancer to thank me. Why? Because I believe that we ought to take care of each other when we are weak, disadvantaged, tired, sick, or hungry. And we ought to do this not for the thanks or the fanfare. We ought to do it simply because it is the right thing to do.

I'm going to bet on Ultralight's improved eating habits, which will enable him to live to a ripe old age and pay off all his student loans.

Ultra lite is working at a job that will pay off his loan balance after a certain number of years, as long as he makes minimum payments along the way. It would stupid of him to pay ahead on those loans.

Thread Information