Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Just turned 62, to SS or not to SS

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    +1

I do think it's a weird phenomenon. I happen to know of three of them. And my take-away was that for some people, retirement, to your body, might be just like when you get a cold as soon as you go on vacation. I really believe that when you have a driving purpose, your body responds by doing what it can to stay healthy.
    or maybe those of use with driving purpose get it, the purpose, because our bodies are healthy and are not expending resources fighting off disease and injury.

The two are intertwined, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am signing up the moment I am able, for reasons similar to dmc's.

I "retired" when I was 36, since then most years I have had no contributions, or very minimal ones from the small amounts paid for some of my public service positions, so while my contributions during my peak years were huge, I'm wondering if I'll get anything at all.
    They would not have been all that huge, given the cap on taxable earnings. The payout formula also favors low earners, so your ROI may look much better than for a typical 125K per year salaryman.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    They would not have been all that huge, given the cap on taxable earnings. The payout formula also favors low earners, so your ROI may look much better than for a typical 125K per year salaryman.
    Yes, they were capped contributions as I recall for the last 10+ years of my paying into the system. Which seemed huge at the time.

The past 10 years or so though, my SS contributions are off of a subject income of < $10k/year I suspect.

After looking at all the pros and cons.... signed up for SS today. Woohoo !!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    After looking at all the pros and cons.... signed up for SS today. Woohoo !!
    Ok, thats good!

You guys you can’t equate health with not having a purpose. That is so wrong. You never know when you will be struck with a serious illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You guys you can’t equate health with not having a purpose. That is so wrong. You never know when you will be struck with a serious illness.
    I don’t think that was the point. Nobody’s invulnerable, but I think a sense of purpose or meaning carries a definite survival advantage. It doesn’t need to be from your work, but could be.

Victor Frankl made a powerful argument for that view in “Man’s Search for Meaning”.

Seems to me that "purpose" is a nebulous thing. We took our SS at 62. Perhaps if I had had a career that made me jump out of bed with glee every morning, I would have postponed.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Seems to me that "purpose" is a nebulous thing. We took our SS at 62. Perhaps if I had had a career that made me jump out of bed with glee every morning, I would have postponed.
    Purpose doesn't have to be work-related, but a lot of people find their identity and sense purpose in their work and career. But it can be found anywhere--in being there for family, or in crossing things off a bucket list, or finishing that quilt or that book or whatever.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I consider myself to have a strong sense of life purpose. I am not being a smart aleck when I say my life purpose is to have fun. My life purpose is to pursue the things that interest me and give me pleasure.

It really is that simple.

Thread Information