Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customers at work - OMG!

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, with all due respect, please forgive me for being a concerned citizen. I am spending a great deal of my non-work time focused on the recent police attack of an unarmed, complaint, innocent man in Mesa, Arizona, sort of in the grand scheme of things in my backyard but in reality about 20 miles away from me going East. This situation received national attention as did the video of the attack which shows the involved officers to truly be sociopaths. Rob
    Let’s have the sociopathic cops shoot to kill Tradd’s annoying customers. Problem solved.

Iris Lilies, I don't appreciate your flippant remarks regarding killing people. I see such remarks as perpetuating the problems.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Iris Lilies, I don't appreciate your flippant remarks regarding killing people. I see such remarks as perpetuating the problems.
    Thank You, mschrisgo2. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Going back to the original topic, something I can share is since I have mostly held customer facing jobs all the years I have worked - I can tell you that the thin veneer of civility so important to a given society functioning on a civil basis - Well it's getting thinner and thinner and thinner, with gaping holes in some places much like our atmosphere above the Earth.

What this means is more and more situations of the type that Tradd describes and that I face in my minor management role. Not fun, but what I tell everyone is to cover your soul in Teflon and let this society slide right on off of you.....can anyone come up with better or more realistic advice than this at this point in this society? Rob

Which problems? The ones caused by yelling customers or the ones caused by sociopathic cops?

Or perhaps other problems?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Which problems? The ones caused by yelling customers or the ones caused by sociopathic cops?

Or perhaps other problems?
    All of it. The common denominator in most of society's problems is that people do not treat each other with kindness.

I just spent 32 years, my entire working career, teaching children: "At the end of the day, what really matters is how you treat each other. If you are kind, you can communicate; if you can communicate, you can solve the perceived problems."

So it is especially distressing to me to see otherwise intelligent, responsible adults using unkind comments and ineffective communication. Model that which you wish to see more of in the world.

All of it. The common denominator in most of society's problems is that people do not treat each other with kindness.

I just spent 32 years, my entire working career, teaching children: "At the end of the day, what really matters is how you treat each other. If you are kind, you can communicate; if you can communicate, you can solve the perceived problems."

So it is especially distressing to me to see otherwise intelligent, responsible adults using unkind comments and ineffective communication. Model that which you wish to see more of in the world.
    ok, slapdown accepted. Mine was not even clever sarcasm, and I also
    deduct points for that.

I think most of us are pretty raw with the world the way we see it these days. Time and circumstance have me spending lots of time alone, so I can filter out much that is unpleasant. A good thing, but I fear I'm becoming feral. We probably need each other more than ever--certainly the extroverts among us do--so maybe we'll coalesce with a new sense of community. Or maybe a natural disaster or war will do the trick.

Now where did I put that brandy?

I'm wondering what has caused the general public to remove the politeness filter (for lack of a better term) in dealing with service workers. I don't remember this being such a commonplace occurrence years ago.
    Maybe it's the anonymity of yelling into a phone or knowing that a low-paid help desk person can't yell back (the customer is always right)? I'd actually like to see a few companies start blacklisting the most outrageous offenders and put their employees' mental health first.

Thread Information