Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let Them Eat Cake

Let Them Eat Cake

I see we have a SCOTUS decision on the Colorado Christian baker case.

Rather than approach it from a First Amendment perspective, the Court simply observed how churlishly biased the Colorado Bias Police were in adjudicating the case. The larger issues will need to be resolved another day.

At this point i’m happy with any official government position that translates “don’t be an @$$”

A friend just sent me cartoon that applies--it has a checkout clerk refusing to sell you condoms, referring you to another clerk, but they're Muslim and can't check out your ham, but you could try another clerk who can't sell you Coke because they're Mormon...Another clerk is a Jehovah's witness and won't sell you a birthday card...It suggests you try the LGBT guy on register 4 who isn't hiding behind his religion. Hyperbole, but it makes the point.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A friend just sent me cartoon that applies--it has a checkout clerk refusing to sell you condoms, referring you to another clerk, but they're Muslim and can't check out your ham, but you could try another clerk who can't sell you Coke because they're Mormon...Another clerk is a Jehovah's witness and won't sell you a birthday card...It suggests you try the LGBT guy on register 4 who isn't hiding behind his religion. Hyperbole, but it makes the point.
    Hiding behind religion. Nope.

sincerely held beliefs, yep.

i cant see what is so hard to see about that.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hiding behind religion. Nope.

sincerely held beliefs, yep.

i cant see what is so hard to see about that.
    I agree. Substitute the word 'conscience' for 'religion' and the same folks who deride the latter usually see things differently.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That sort of public accommodation argument has been made a lot in much less hamfisted ways, but I don't think it applies in this type of case. The baker said he would happily sell them one of his confections off the shelf. His objection was to being forced to perform the service of creating something new carrying a message he objected to. He wasn't hiding behind his religion. He was standing up for it. For his troubles he got a lecture from an officious twit about slavery and the Holocaust, and the usual pile of anonymous internet scorn.

I realize yesterday's opinion addresses the way the case was decided, rather than the issue itself.

I don't want to live in any kind of theocracy; I'm all for Jesus' admonition to pray in your closet.

On the other hand, it's good to know what kind of people are running the businesses I might potentially patronize.

I agree with Jane.

There was a bar/food joint in a local small town that put up a sign in the window that said “for service, speak English.” They won their court case. They also went out of business.

I realize yesterday's opinion addresses the way the case was decided, rather than the issue itself.

I don't want to live in any kind of theocracy; I'm all for Jesus' admonition to pray in your closet.

On the other hand, it's good to know what kind of people are running the businesses I might potentially patronize.
    It’s theocracy when government imposes values on citizens. It’s liberty when citizens are allowed to make their own value judgments.

I also think the admonition against virtue-signaling makes sense outside the religious sphere.

I don't want to live in any kind of theocracy; .....
    Sure you do, you just don't yet recognize Progressivism as a religion or Government as a Deity.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information