Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let Them Eat Cake

How is this different than artist not allowing their music to be played at certain venues? Isn’t that also discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Actually no. The baker shut the discussion down before they got to cake details. He was not willing to make any wedding cake for them.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If the preponderance of smug self-righteousness, not to say naked bigotry, hadn’t been on the side of the commission, the Supremes wouldn’t have been able to punt on the larger constitutional issues.
    Point taken; I hope said commission member has learned to be more circumspect.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    How is this different than artist not allowing their music to be played at certain venues? Isn’t that also discrimination.
    Music has copyright law. A closer example, if one thinks making cakes is art, would be whether an artist who sells their paintings in a gallery they own could refuse to sell a painting to someone if the customer said ‘wow! I love this painting. I’m going to give it to my friends stteve and joe as a wedding present.’

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Music has copyright law. A closer example, if one thinks making cakes is art, would be whether an artist who sells their paintings in a gallery they own could refuse to sell a painting to someone if the customer said ‘wow! I love this painting. I’m going to give it to my friends stteve and joe as a wedding present.’
    A more comparable situation would be the artist declining a commission to paint a portrait of Joe and Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A more comparable situation would be the artist declining a commission to paint a portrait of Joe and Steve.
    Not compared to a generic wedding cake. The baker shut the conversation down just at the idea of a wedding cake, not a custom wedding cake.

No, a more comparable situation would be an artist declining to paint a picture FOR Joe and Steve. And then being willing to admit it was because they were gay.

my college roommate was once confronted by a guy we were trying to avoid socially with the words “you just don’t like me because i’m Black.” Her honest response was “no, we don’t like you because you’re a jerk.” Except she didn’t say jerk.

The baker did say they could buy any existing cake, he just wouldn’t make a new one for them.

My understanding was that he said he didn’t make wedding cakes for gay couples but that they could purchase other baked goods.

Presumably he doesnt keep pre-made wedding cakes in stock since most people dont walk in off the street expecting to walk out with one five minutes later.

True. He does have cakes though. Just not the kind of cake they wanted - again, not willing to paint the picture, willing to say why.

Thread Information