Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June purge

June purge

Our annual Park Conservancy organization’s sale has come and gone, and we rid ourselves of a few items in that sale. One thing was a cute iron chair, shabby in its paint, that DH rescued from the alley years ago. I sat on it for some years at our gardens property, but since we are getting ready to sell that, we do not need extra furniture there.

i was glad that a woman bought it right away, seeing its charm.

We also emptied half of our garage of stuff we stored for the sale, donations from other people.

For the second year in a row
    I painted up an iron planter with the intent to donate it to the sale, but when the time came, I could not let it go.

That is unusual for me, I can usually pitch stuff
    I do not use. But since this one is still “speaking to me” (aka “sparking joy”) I cannot see it leave.

DH and I were gone for the second day of the sale, so I dont know how it actually did in profit. It appeared to me that people were not buying. The woman who runs the sale has inflated ideas of the “worth” of things. But, since she is willing to store the same crap in her garage from year to year, I guess she can decide against selling stuff for pennies.

I stopped working at the sale because I find it so difficult to ask ridiculous prices. They want customers to bargain. Too many AMericans do not like doing that, it is not part of our culture. Just put a price on it lady!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-6-18 at 10:56am.

I agree IL that some $ is better than none. If items are not cheap people will go elsewhere. The whole point of going to sales are to get it cheap.

Must feel good to empty out half a garage!

Yppej
    I got rid of a pair of shoes (no I don't want to wear those 3 inch heels again) and some papers and other small items.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Must feel good to empty out half a garage!
    Oh it was, but all of that stuff was there for only a short time. We dont normally store much stuff for this sale, but our friend moved and had lots of items to donate.

I will say that we visited the garage of the permenant storage place and wow! They cleaned it out! They donated items that did not sell to the local church. They were left with only a nice sofa that a customer cheated us on. She signed an “x” on her paypal charge that apparently makes the sale invalid.

Yppej
    Paint from March 2010 that was solidified, 4 DVD's that are my ex's taste not mine, an out of date medical book, 2 belts (I never wear belts but kept 1), and all remaining items in clothes purgatory. Now that it's summer the trash starts to smell more quickly and if the bag is not full I scour the house for junk to fill it up.

I cleaned off an entire shelf, a long shelf high in a bedroom closet. Tossed two wide brimmed hats, elf shoes that had disintigrated, and a shawl. This is our closet for costumes.

If I need new elf shoes I will have to buy them, I guess. I didn't want to mess with repairing these existing elf shoes.

Bought two pair of silver earrings at a second-hand shop, so culled two pair of earrings and a necklace for the next donation run. 2 in - 3 out.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

So my step son brings over 2 boxes of stuff for me to donate with instructions for the stuff to go to 2 different thrift stores. I will take it all to the one closest to my house. He is leaving for 2 years for officer candidate school and then a bunch of training to be a navigator. I don’t mind taking it but telling me where to bring it was a little over the top.

Yppej
    Excess Tupperware lids. A teapot whose lid fell and cracked when I reached for it on the top shelf. I am now contemplating whether to keep the rest of the tea set.

Thread Information