Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June purge

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So my step son brings over 2 boxes of stuff for me to donate with instructions for the stuff to go to 2 different thrift stores. I will take it all to the one closest to my house. He is leaving for 2 years for officer candidate school and then a bunch of training to be a navigator. I don’t mind taking it but telling me where to bring it was a little over the top.
    Oh, no. No no no.
    No one to dictate to me how to get rid of their escess stuff unless I have already offered to go to both thrift store.

IL, he is a great kid but at 28 still does some stuff that I shake my head at. I just said okay and now will do what I want. Your response made me laugh.

All my old make-up brushes, and all my old make-up. I don't have new make-up as I stopped wearing it when I retired. Most of this stuff is 10-20 years old. Into the trash! Also a very few books. Some have been put aside to give to a friend, the rest to donate.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, he is a great kid but at 28 still does some stuff that I shake my head at. I just said okay and now will do what I want. Your response made me laugh.
    You sound like a very wise stepmom. It may well be that 30 years from now he flashes back to bringing you that stuff and thinks, "I can't believe I did that." It takes some of us a long, long time to grow up.

My daughter and I gave away seven of her summer dresses that no longer fit. That might be it for me this month since we leave on vacation in a couple of days.

Shadowmoss, congrats on getting rid of your makeup! That must have felt SO liberating!

Yppej
    Enjoy your vacation EJ. I got rid of the Magic Bullet, which I had not used in years as it never worked that well. This cleared up a lot of space in the cupboard because it came with so many blades, cups, and lids. Also tossed a couple of matching dolls. One had its outfit messed up. I think a mouse chewed on it when it was in the basement to get nesting material. I am trying to keep mementos out now where I see and enjoy them. And I ditched a pair of earrings that I noticed in a recent photo make my face look fat.

Another little project I am working on is consolidating so I don't have things on the top shelf of the kitchen where I can't reach them without standing on something.

Finally have some movement - although very small - a donation pickup today. Getting rid of a box of miscellaneous items and a medium size bag of clothes. It's something!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

While rehabbing my knee (aka, sitting in a recliner with leg up and ice machine running), I've been going through quilting magazines again. Although I've never had more than 4 magazine holders full, I've tossed a bunch. Out of 3 holders, I'm down to 1 full. I'll get through that 4th one today.

A side note: my oldest sister is here (we've lived here 27y and she's been here many many times). She was putting dishes away earlier this week: "I didn't realize till now how little cupboard space you have". When I asked her why she thought that: "well you have to stack everything". Me "you stack your plates, your bowls, your small plates etc just like I do". "Well ya but you have to put those containers on top of that stack of plates".

I have 2 meal containers that I keep on top of the small plate stack. "Well, if I didn't stack it would be wasted space in the cupboard so it makes sense to me".

My kitchen has a dropped ceiling and I can reach the items on my top shelves. Her kitchen has cupboards that go to the tall ceiling. All her top shelves hold all of her Christmas dishes.

Her perception is so interesting to me. And we were definitely at an impass. She has not commented on the empty space I have.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program

I went thru all my magazines and kept only the patterns I enjoyed or maybe an idea page. What is left is in a file cabinet sorted by category. You know what? I have not missed the rest of the magazine. Now I need to decide on the books. Do they have info or multiple patterns that I want to keep or do they only have one idea or are simply old.

My daughter is home from college this month. We decided to replace her desk (never used as such) with a book shelf. She's used this time to reorganize and purge. She took a bunch of stuff to a thrift shop earlier this week and I dropped more at the local rescue mission distribution center today. We had to cut her desk into two pieces to get it out of her room (I assembled it in her room at the time). I glued and taped it back together and am using it for my craft desk, which meant I could move the folding table I was using to the garage. Which meant we could FINALLY get rid of the 40 year old gnarly heavy folding table in the garage. YAY. I've hated that thing. I also donated a folding DVD shelf I was using in my craft area.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information