Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance Scammers......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Romance Scammers......

I've been chatting lately with a romance scammer (male) in the Philippines (I knew this was a scammer and only participated for entertainment value) for a week lately. Today the whole charade went too far over the top for yours truly and I blocked this person, breathing a sigh of relief that I gave them absolutely nothing they can use against me. Has anyone else here ever chatted with one of these folks?

I'm not on the market - I just did this (mostly) to see how this works. Big warning signs - professing love within 48 hours - my claiming that I've always wanted to visit the Philippines (this much is true) eliciting excited replies that he'd have "someone" pick me up at the airport. This combined with insistence that he picked out my hotel......a warning sign extravaganza if there ever was one.

At any rate, for anyone out there single, male or female, straight or gay - be careful out there if you are searching for love online. I have to say that this scammer should sell his charm in bottles if such could be bottled - he wouldn't have to scam anyone anymore. Be careful folks......these scammers are all about your wallet or purse, whichever applies in your case. Rob

You gave him hope and experience in soliciting. Were you not part of the problem by participating in the first place?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    You gave him hope and experience in soliciting. Were you not part of the problem by participating in the first place?
    This is one way of looking at it, I will give you that Razz and I can see where you are coming from. That said, I used to be a forum participant on 419eater.com - this is a website in which members string along scammers in a bid to waste their time and to prevent them from scamming others. Also for some it's entertainment but it's not entertainment I would personally seek out often. I was not on a dating site btw when this scammer first contacted me - I was on a non-sexually oriented gay news site.

Anyway, like I said, I'm done.....this is not something I'd care to do again any time soon but it was interesting in a way to see how such a scammer operates. I can see where there would be otherwise practical people thrown off by the off the chart levels of charm these scammers seem to specialize in - it's true that Americans (I know you are in Ontario and I don't care to speak for Canada as I am not a Canadian) live in a very cold and money based society in which it is hard for many to get their emotional needs met. These scammers sure know how to hone in on those who are emotionally vulnerable due to this. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 6-6-18 at 2:46pm. Reason: edited due to typo

I've seen expose' documentaries on catfishing and it's hard to believe how anyone--however lonely--gets sucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've seen expose' documentaries on catfishing and it's hard to believe how anyone--however lonely--gets sucked in.
    Ive seen the documentaries about American men and Russian women. I do think someone is getting sucked in.

Meri on Sister Wives was catfished.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ive seen the documentaries about American men and Russian women. I do think someone is getting sucked in.
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

I tried very seriously to meet someone -- a romantic partner -- online. It was challenging to me not because of scam artists so much as differences in wants and values.

The women I spoke with wanted to have babies, usually several. This was a no-go. But some women would try to change my mind during conversations.

They were also quite religious. But this was more their problem than mine, as I tend to date Xians anyway.

Language barriers were sometimes a problem too. Even when the woman spoke English seemingly well there were subtleties that were missed.

I did however "meet" a woman from South America. She was my age, not religious, and was adamant about not wanting kids. We talked via email and/or Skype video chat every day. We were planning for me to go meet her.

But eventually she was like: "It is going to be a couple more months until we see each other. And then it will just be for a couple weeks. Then we'll be apart again. Would you mind if I slept with one of my guy friends? It'd be just until we were together for the long term in the same place."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Meri on Sister Wives was catfished.
    Yes, she was! That was weird.

Yppej
    It looks like you will have some protesting to do now instead. I saw more police brutality in Mesa, Arizona on tonight's news.

Thread Information