Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beans of Egypt Maine

Yppej

The Beans of Egypt Maine

This book by Carolyn Chute has stayed with me over the years. It is about people who some might term deplorable, but who have a strong sense of what is right and wrong, including a reluctance to take government benefits even when they need them. I recommend it.

I remember when this book was hot, but I actually never read it, so maybe I will give it a try!

Same for me, didnt read it, remember that it was a big title.

I remember starting but not finishing it years ago, not that I didn't want to. Probably just not able to focus...
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

This looks just up my alley, but I'm trying to control my Amazon one-click trigger finger, so I'll wait until I've finished the book that pinkytoe compelled me to buy.

Next thing on my "Two Households" list is to sign up for a library card at the little Grand Isle library.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yeah, I was going to whisper “library!!!” In catherines ear as an anedote to Amazon.

In my weekend townI go often to the library there. It is open every day except Sunday. They have all of the great local history books and I have been checking them out and studying architecture of the area.

I get to visit with the former owner of my house. She is a librarian there.

last time I saw her at the library
    I quizzed her about the trees and perennials in our yard.

We love our library too. Can't remember the last time I bought a book from Amazon. Funny because I remember that I first joined Amazon to order books.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    We love our library too. Can't remember the last time I bought a book from Amazon. Funny because I remember that I first joined Amazon to order books.
    Well, it IS easy to click-buy e books. And they dont have a return date like library books.

I do both.

At 21 I was a divorced single mom with 1 child. I worked full time in a low paying office job with insurance. I qualified for food stamps but did not take them. However, I did take the reduced daycare because without it I would not be able to pay for it. I shared the apartment with another woman because I couldn’t afford my own. I thank Jimmy Carter for starting the daycare subsidies so that women like me could afford to work instead of being on welfare. Because I had health insurance with my job that was a huge benefit and did not cost the taxpayers any money.

This book by Carolyn Chute has stayed with me over the years. It is about people who some might term deplorable, but who have a strong sense of what is right and wrong, including a reluctance to take government benefits even when they need them. I recommend it.
    I have not read the book. I don't think the poor are deplorable, I don't think most of them voted for Trump either (they poor mostly don't vote and those who do vote usually vote Dem).

Does a strong sense of right and wrong also relate to a reluctance to take certain jobs? As I was offered a job at a gambling place, and it is the limits of what I can stand morally as I think that industry actually does REAL social harm and preys on the vulnerable, but hey I actually AM desperate for work in my field, so I said when they asked if I had any moral problem with it: "nope! I'll totally work for you!", but I had two other interviews and focused more on them and that place disappeared (don't you just love it when job opportunities ghost you? happens all the time. yes even jobs at the den of sin are that sought after). Those who would outright refuse such a job when they needed work are a better woman than me for sure, but there are limits even I wouldn't cross.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information