Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Student Loan Kings

Yppej
    I would waive the interest. What is your principal balance at this time? Divide it by 40, then divide that by 12. You can probably make the monthly payments if you stop jetting around the world. You may need to work until you are 78, but it's office work not hard physical labor. You can handle it. I work with several people in their 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I would waive the interest. What is your principal balance at this time? Divide it by 40, then divide that by 12. You can probably make the monthly payments if you stop jetting around the world. You may need to work until you are 78, but it's office work not hard physical labor. You can handle it. I work with several people in their 70's.
    The principal was about $135k. Still think a few vacations makes any real difference?

Yppej
    Payments come to $281.25 a month. So you can pay it all back, you just have to pay for 40 more years. It is not that you cannot pay back your loans (even with interest added it would be a doable number) but that you do not want to.

Payments come to $281.25 a month. So you can pay it all back, you just have to pay for 40 more years. It is not that you cannot pay back your loans (even with interest added it would be a doable number) but that you do not want to.
    1. Do you think it is reasonable to make me work until I am 78? I can assure you I would not and will not do this. If I have to work at that age then I will commit suicide long before that. Not worth it. I will take the 357 Retirement Plan. There is a reason we have things like social security and medicare. We don't want our senior citizens to work themselves literally to death. Now, you and a bunch of right-wingers might like the idea of old folks working until they die. But that offends me as person who cares about others.

2. I am paying my loans back, Yppej. I am doing so through a combination of public service and cash payments. If you don't like this policy, why not engage in some activism? Write your congresspersons. Tell them how you are tired of fat cats like me (a government worker who earns $49k a year and is enrolled in a ten year public service loan forgiveness plan) are taking such horrible advantage of tax payers. Get them to discontinue the program. Walk it like you talk it.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    many people cannot work until their late seventies, even an office job. Some have dementia, some cannot drive, some have severe disabilities and many companies target older people as first to lay off or “downsize”. I have seen it happen twice when I worked in corporate America. When I left the workforce I could see how obsolete I was becoming even though I tried to stay current. Many of my friends have said the same,thing. Besides, if we have lots of people working until they are in their late seventies where will the young people work?

i don’t think a US area exists where the majority of people in their seventies and eighties are considered a dynamic and valuable member of the workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    many people cannot work until their late seventies, even an office job. Some have dementia, some cannot drive, some have severe disabilities and many companies target older people as first to lay off or “downsize”. I have seen it happen twice when I worked in corporate America. When I left the workforce I could see how obsolete I was becoming even though I tried to stay current. Many of my friends have said the same,thing. Besides, if we have lots of people working until they are in their late seventies where will the young people work?

i don’t think a US area exists where the majority of people in their seventies and eighties are considered a dynamic and valuable member of the workforce.
    Yppej probably does not care about these very important points. Yppej seems blinded by a vendetta and bitterness.

Bitterness is poison to the soul and doesn’t hurt the other person.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

I retired a bit early, age 60.immediately people in my circle of friends started suggesting little jobs I could do. Good god, why would I want to? But most importantly, who the hell would hire me? I said as much. One of my friends who knows my capabilities said “well you could consult, I am sure your skills are in demand!”

Hahahah, this is comical in sheer impracticality, I have nothing to offer! I am obsolete! And that is perfectly fine with me.

I read that many seniors want p.t. Jobs but can’t get hired. I retired at 58 and did some consulting. I just sold all my tests so I won’t be tempted to continue. At 64 I am done with that. I was incredibly lucky that 7 months after retirement a job teaching my class literally fell into my lap. Although, I had the knowledge to teach the class I did not have the computer knowledge. I spent 40 hours/week figuring out the computer stuff and making notes. It was super hard but I really wanted to teach the class

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Yppej probably does not care about these very important points. Yppej seems blinded by a vendetta and bitterness.
    We all have different life experiences. As I approach age 70 instead of becoming more bitter and critical I am more compassionate than I ever have been. Because what is a better and more fulfilling way to go,through life? Criticizing and hoping people that are down and out are “punished” for bad luck or bad choices? Or being happy for everyone who works hard to the best of their ability. As the gap between the rich and the poor gets bigger with the tax cuts and attempts to slash social programs I think we will be seeing a great deal of sadness all around us if we open our eyes. Even people who work full time and really try their best might not be “successful”.
    If the recent discussions about suicides have taught us anything, money is not the solution. Compassion and small attempts to help those who have not won life”s lottery, especially those who are contributing to the workforce and economy to the best of their ability only enriches your life and makes you happier.

Thread Information