Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Student Loan Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If you don't like my posts, why did you create a thread just for me?
    I am having fun with you here. I enjoy this.

Yppej
    How did get through the University of Alabama and not turn into a sports fan?

How did get through the University of Alabama and not turn into a sports fan?
    I was not interested in this lifestyle experiment then.

Also, I was focused on other things -- like my academics and Southern women.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What do you presume talent and hard work look like?

My classmates in graduate school did not want the first job I got after graduation, which was strategic research for a labor union. These jobs were plentiful at the time. Librarian jobs were not.

I was open to doing non-traditional information work and I was geographically flexible. So I got a $34k a year job. 3.5 years later I was up to $59k. I got several merit raises.

But my classmates wanted to be librarians proper.

When I finished high school I went to work for about four years. I worked in a factory, a warehouse, in residential construction, in pizza delivery, and a couple other lines of work. Sometimes I worked more than one job and would pick up a class here and there in community college too.

I had a very hard time in community college and at the university because I was way behind in required reading and deficient in using microsoft office and my public speaking was totally horrible.

So when I was able to get into University of Toledo at 23 I asked a professor to help me learn to use microsoft office and help me write. He helped me and I thanked him and to this day speak highly of him (even though he is a conservative, haha).

To make up for being behind in reading I would read voraciously and widely in the summers. I also checked out every documentary in the university's video library. I was watched a dozen a week or more. I need to increase me knowledge and critical thinking skills.

I managed to finish my BS, though my grade cards were sometimes a mixed bag.

But I was academically prepared for graduate school. I was awarded the most prestigious fellowship at the University of Alabama in my first year of graduate school. I was subsequently given two graduate assistant positions and an additional scholarship. I finished both my masters' degrees with a perfect 4.0.
    UL, I sincerely hand you kudos for the stretch you made in academics. That is sn accomplishment for which you can be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    UL, I sincerely hand you kudos for the stretch you made in academics. That is sn accomplishment for which you can be proud.
    Thanks. I still have typos though! haha

Yppej:

Is the fun over for tonight?

This exchange illustrates what Anais Nin said about how we don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are.

Rather than bitterness and resentment over the gifts I haven't been given, and searching out objects for envy and blame, I prefer gratitude for what I do have. It's better for the digestion.

Yppej:

Let me ask you a very serious question. Knowing all you know about me and my situation, what do you think would be a proper penance for my multiple transgressions against society/taxpayers? I am straight, white, male, and in debt to like $170k in student loans, I have a "cushy" government job, and I have traveled to a dozen countries.

Yppej
    No penance needed, just pay back the $170K.

No penance needed, just pay back the $170K.
    So I am absolved of my whiteness and maleness? Bold move. Very charitable.

What about interest?

Thread Information