Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loan Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I think you could have looked at other options such as refinancing the debt or spreading out the payments over more years. What do people not on your gravy train do when they cannot make the payments?

You say you drive a beater and live in a small apartment. Surely you can pay more than $300 a month. Lots of people pay more than that for a car payment. You can pay more instead of jetting around the world, you just don't want to. Did you pay for your conpanion's travel expenses also?
    Tell me how refinancing would help. I am curious.

Which gravy train of mine are you talking about? My amazing $49k a year job or serving the public for ten years in a job I have no desire to do in order to get a portion of my loans forgiven?

Income-based repayment is available to all those who have public student loan debt. The delays are also available to them.

You could pay more taxes. You could send the struggling Zoe Girl some cash too. Why don't you? Maybe you should pay the Canadians some extra taxes for giving you such a great education.

And of course I don't want to pay more than $300 a month.

I did not pay my ladyfriend's travel expenses. She makes significantly more money than me, has several retirement vehicles, and an excellent pension plan too. She has a house and car too. She is way ahead of me when it comes to career and money. She is quite a bit older than me though too.

Yppej
    Consolidate, extend the term, get a better rate, whatever applies.

How long would it normally take to pay off $170,000 at $300 a month? 47.22 years, not 10. And that is with no interest being charged. So we are talking 50+ years with the interest. There's your gravy train.

Even if there were no interest charged, that would be $3600.00 a year.

I give your friend credit for not hopping on your gravy train.

Consolidate, extend the term, get a better rate, whatever applies.

How long would it normally take to pay off $170,000 at $300 a month? 47.22 years, not 10. And that is with no interest being charged. So we are talking 50+ years with the interest. There's your gravy train.

Even if there were no interest charged, that would be $3600.00 a year.

I give your friend credit for not hopping on your gravy train.
    1. I already did consolidate, back in 2011.

2. After consolidating I now have a fixed rate.

3. Why would I extend the term?

4. "Whatever applies?" This shows you really have no idea what you are talking about. I have already done what applies and it seems to displease you very much.

5. I think that you gripe at me on this internet forum because you have no power. You know that you are a powerless person. You are upset with me, vehemently upset with me, over my $49k a year job and my Public Service Loan Forgiveness program that our government (both Dems and GOP created and implemented). I am an easy target. You have no power to go after the real barons -- like the CEOs and the power elite. Instead you bust my chops. You are like the kid who gets a beat-down from their step-dad, but since you are powerless to him you go and kick the dog. The dog is the easy target. This is a sign that you need to work on your character as a person.

Don't fight against my benefits. Fight for your own. I'd probably be willing to march right alongside you.

My ladyfriend got her degree later in life, and actually has a little bit of student loan left, not much. She did not have that much student debt. But she only got to a BS degree. I have a BS, MA, and MLIS.

She is actually very wary of men using her for her money and resources. This has happened to many of her female friends and female relatives. She calls guys that leech off women "busters." And she is always on the lookout for busters so she won't get busted by them.

Yppej
    I am wary of people who leech off the government/taxpayers.

I am wary of people who leech off the government/taxpayers.
    Do you think I am leeching?

Call me delusional, but I like to think of us as a community. As fellow community members, we should be kind to one another and supportive of one another. If everyone who has ever made a bad financial decision goes away, there probably won't be anyone left.
    I was able to pay for college with my part-time job and while living under my parents' roof. I was lucky that tuition was so much more affordable at the time and that my parents were willing to support me through college. We all have had a mixed bag of privileges and disadvantages, and we all most likely can tell a tale of good life choices and bad. That's the stuff that our individual histories are made from and the stories behind how we got where we are today. Let's exercise a little tolerance. I know I've said this before, but if I want to just hear thoughts and opinions that perfectly match my own, I can talk to myself in the mirror. I come here to enjoy some different perspectives and experiences.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    She did not have that much student debt. But she only got to a BS degree. I have a BS, MA, and MLIS.
    Sounds like you wasted the taxpayers money. She has two fewer degrees than you and makes more although you have white male privilege on your side.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Yppej:

I created a thread where you are free to rail endlessly against student loan kings like me.

Let me get you started.

We're a bunch of elitist, bloated, self-absorbed, over-educated liberals who live off the backs of the working poor who we force to forgive us our loans for our masters' degrees in underwater basket weaving!

-UL
    Well RR this was the whole purpose of this thread.

Sounds like you wasted the taxpayers money. She has two fewer degrees than you and makes more although you have white male privilege on your side.
    Let me ask you this: What percentage of my success is attributed to my white privilege? What percentage is attributed to my male privilege? And what percentage is due to my talent and hard work?

What sort of solutions would you suggest for offsetting the white male privilege of men like me?

Sounds like you wasted the taxpayers money.
    From what I gather on here it sounds like you wasted your life, and now you pay the price with your petty bitterness.

Thread Information