Thread: weekly check in with sup

weekly check in with sup

I had my weekly extra check in for my improvement plan, and I didn't tear up this time!! That is quite an accomplishment, I chose a more open space for us to meet in this time. I had to take a break from training my summer staff and couldn't afford the typical meeting where I end up emotional.

I am still in the crazy zone of contradictory messages. OMG, I really miss my friend who left and talked to me about all of this. Right now I am struggling with not everyone paying for their clubs! I asked for support on this starting in fall, months before I started them. Today was just classic, he kept saying that since I had been in my role 8 years I should have known exactly how to do this. I reminded him that I had only done grant programming. He seemed so confused, but this is what I was explaining to him in November so I could get some help. I focused on what I had learned so that I could create policies for next year, and I need to write them now. So he questioned if I really needed policies. Dude! Yes I need policies, so we had a conversation about what policies I am considering, what is the definition of a policy instead of a guideline, etc.

So I am not supposed to make any decisions in my job but I also teach him the basics over and over. Just kinda how it goes.

So are you also the collections agent for your programs? That seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yeah, it does. Can this just be moved to the administrative side of things, so that when you actually get a child for care or for clubs, that child's place has already been paid for, and you can concentrate on your job with the child? So all registration and payment done through administration, not by you?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Why? If she is the contact for parents, who else is going to take their money? In my world of public service, employees out in the community at branches and etc. ere responsible for taking money all knds of things including registrations. There are always online options, too.

She has already given a long saga of how payment options changed.

I don't have an issue collecting, i also didnt have an issue transferring over to all online payments. I think taking a check or small amount of cash is very customer friendly however. My issues really is that I wanted to have some policies or best practices going into planning.

So at first my sup simply didn't answer, then didn't respond when I asked for someone who had been doing this, then almost cancelled the clubs, followed by lots of holding me accountable while i stumbled through the process. Now that it didnt go so well on the business side (parent side had some of my best feedback ever) he is saying that I have been doing this for 8 years so I really didn't need help. Since he doesn't understand the difference between paying a flat fee under a grant as compared to registering kids who are paying I am really frustrated.

Congrats on not tearing up this time. I think this is the point where you realized it is what it is and what it's going to be like working with this man on every topic.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Zoe, you have spoken in past posts about these policies you wish to write.

So do you believe that your entire organization has no policies whatsoever on these registration issues?

Thanks Float, It was a big deal to move to not getting emotional.

Iris, I wish to (insert diety and a swear word here) that I could find it. We have extensive google docs on everything, so I started to search there. I can't even find where it is written that we charge 10-15% on top of the provider class fee to cover some of our costs. Apparently everyone knows that, and I recall hearing it, so I asked specifically in fall at least 3 times about it but sup didn't know and didn't find out.

We also do not have a written job description for my role (there are 47 of us), our supervisors have never had a job description or set of expectations. When I ran the only blended site (grant and parent paid at the same site) I compiled my own parent handbook out of the 2 types every year, got materials in Spanish that needed to be, created scholarship forms and share them. For this summer I am at a site now with 4 different programs in the same building. I worked with my staff and came up with a clear and comprehensive behavior system, it was liked by other programs so we are using it throughout the school. When I create something it is generally really good quality and appreciated by my peers. I am looking ahead career wise into ways I can do a lot more of that, but I think that is rare.

Thread Information