Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do? (Entitlement version)

Unemployment is paid by state and federal taxes on your employer. It is part of your benefits package, that "hidden paycheck" that some employers make a big deal out of.

And the more former employees that collect unemployment, the more your company will have to pay. So if you are really angry at getting laid off, collecting unemployment is one way to get a little revenge.

Paul was silly to let a comment about being a loser stop him from collecting his benefits. He's earned them by working hard for 7 years; no need to brush them aside.

Also, many states allow (or encourage) you to work while collecting unemployment. If you temp or take a part-time job, in my state, you can earn up to 30% of your weekly unemployment award. If you earn more than 30%, they reduce your weekly award by the amount you earned. And if you earn more than 130% in a given week, you get nothing, but you've earned more money! More money is good! And you have extended the time you can get benefits, because that money doesn't go away, but is still there if you need it later in the year.

So, yeah, not sure why collecting unemployment is being a loser. It's not an entitlement program--your employer pays into it based on your wages. It's a benefit your employer provides to you, not a handout from the government.

I don't think employer paying is really the best way of running the system, however as long as people would otherwise rail about it being a handout for the government, it is probably the best solution there is at present. As long as were are ruled by the awful cast of characters we tend to be (who neither know the experience of unemployment nor know the experience of desperately having to work for a living), flawed solutions are what we have. And Paul should collect!
    Trees don't grow on money

It doesn't seem right to me to apply for unemployment the minute a person becomes unemployed unless they are in dire financial straits. It does make sense to apply if the job market is poor and the chances of getting a job soon are not promising or if financial difficulties are pending. Around here food service jobs are plentiful. I would pose other questions, like if he could get a job as a cook should he take it or wait until a better waiter's job comes open. How about a low wage at a fast food place just to get by for a while. If he has spent down his savings, should he also apply for food stamps or other welfare? Should Paul retrain for a better career?

I have been in a similar situation although a long time ago. I never filed for any government benefits, but was fortunate to find another job within a couple of months.

It doesn't hurt to file immediately because if you find a job you tell them and don't get the $. Better then waiting until you are broke and desperate. Most states also have a waiting period before you get paid.

I’m some ways it does make sense that the employer has to fund unemployment more if more is paid out to people that worked for them. For example I once worked for a performing arts organization where the performers were contracted to work 24 weeks out of the year. During the weeks they weren’t performing they were all able to collect unemployment. They all had an ongoing claim all year and collected for the weeks they weren’t working.

Years ago NY stopped this policy with school bus drivers who used to get unemployment during the summer. It was understood it was a 9 month job

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Years ago NY stopped this policy with school bus drivers who used to get unemployment during the summer. It was understood it was a 9 month job
    I assume they did that by paying them over the full year instead of the nine months?

The organization I worked at knew that the performers were doing this and accounted for it in their negotiations with the performer’s union.

First I had to look up who this John fellow was.
    Ok, playing the observer mode, does she appear to have any clothing on her, that makes it appear that she is a former supervisor of her boyfriend, where she may be trying to get him not to collect unemployement. (while possibly showing she violated dating policies)

JP, it was back in the 80’s but I think they either wrote a law or put it in their contract that they were not eligible. She didn’t get paid during the summer.

Thread Information