Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? (Entitlement version)

If Paul wants to act on principle or is simply lazy.....he shouldn’t be asking people for assistance. Its already been provided in the form of unemployment compensation.
    +1 go to your parents hat in hand if it comes to that, but not because you are being an idiot and turning down things you are entitled to.
    Trees don't grow on money

He should apply, and is foolish not to.

Doesn't the employer pay in to a fund for covering unemployment? I recall that DH filed for unemployment when laid off in 2009. I think he got about six weeks worth of coverage before taking another job. It was good incentive for finding something quickly at the time. I think Paul should have taken it.

Employers are taxed to provide unemployment insurance through local governments.

If one needs financial assistance, if it is available, if one is eligible, one should apply. That is the reason for its existence and why one pays into the program. If one should fail to apply for assistance when needed based on someone else's opinion, one is not too smart.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Looking forward to the episode where Paul kicks Kristen to the curb.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Snort!

yea I know, dump the #*%^%

Ideally one's partner should help one brainstorm solutions to problems, not that they are always readily apparent or there are any easy answers, but certainly not insult one and sabotage their best solutions at the time (presumably collect unemployment and look for work). Really it would be better if she just walked out with: "sorry but I'm not dating an unemployed guy!!!" rather than outright sabotage their life.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Paul is entitled to the unemployment benefit his employer funded. If they feel he is not deserving they can request an unemployment hearing, but it sounds like they are fine with him filing.

Many employers go beyond this and also offer severance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Paul is entitled to the unemployment benefit his employer funded. If they feel he is not deserving they can request an unemployment hearing, but it sounds like they are fine with him filing.

Many employers go beyond this and also offer severance.
    Severance pay isnt an industry standard in the restaurant biz, but sure, it could happen.

Thread Information