Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: White men

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Didn't you retire just a year or two ago? If that was mid sixties you could easily live to mid eighties and not have the cat outlive you.
    I dont expect to live until mid eighties for various reasons, and even if I do,
    I wont be capable of taking care of pets.

But that is ok, this cat will have a home with us until that is untenable. I just would have preferred a ten year old cat, and older cats have a harder time finding a home.

You can fly to cheap countries and take vacation cheaply if you look for deals. For instance Poland is super cheap to visit while some European countries are very expensive. It’s a mistake to never do anything you want until your debt is paid off because you could be dead by then. In 1992 the feds paid for my masters degree and gave me a stipend of 300/month. The university was 300 miles from where I lived and I had to move. To pay it back I had to work in public rehabilitation for 3 years. I got a job I loved and made a career of it. Do people have to be miserable for you to be happy? Also you cannot just assume people want to put you up when you visit. We love to have company and some people don’t. When we travel if we just have 1 small dog our friends host us. This year we are coming with 2 small dogs and a 80lb shedding machine. A few people volunteered and I asked if they were sure. So out of a 42 day trip my son who gave us the shedding machine will host us and my husband cousins who love dogs. The rest of the time it is motel 6 or Airbnb apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    At least you did not end up with any of the children!
    They are well aware of my limits!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I would agree that it is not a sacrifice and I have taught at Many public colleges and universities and unfortunately did not get any remuneration for education. But I guess the answer is to work for legisltion to get rid of programs you think are reverse Robinhood programs and work for free community college and undergrad.

Everyone sees things from their own vantage point and I doubt anyone's mind will be changed by discussing here.
    Does public service have to be a sacrifice? I think it can be or it can be more like a calling, or even both.

My current job I consider a sacrifice and simultaneously an opportunity.

But being a mailman or a coast guardsman or a high school teacher, for instances, I think that these are more easily recognizable as callings.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can fly to cheap countries and take vacation cheaply if you look for deals. For instance Poland is super cheap to visit while some European countries are very expensive.
    Maybe I will go to Poland next! Uh-oh! I just triggered Yppej! lol

It’s a mistake to never do anything you want until your debt is paid off because you could be dead by then.
    Would Yppej stand over my grave and say: "Okay, you are now absolved."?

In 1992 the feds paid for my masters degree and gave me a stipend of 300/month. The university was 300 miles from where I lived and I had to move. To pay it back I had to work in public rehabilitation for 3 years. I got a job I loved and made a career of it.
    Watch out.

Yppej might go totally ballistic on you.

Do people have to be miserable for you to be happy?

This is actually the real question for Yppej. I enjoy vacations, but since I owe her and all the other taxpayers so much money I guess I should not do this thing I enjoy. But what about other things I enjoy that cost money? Maybe I should not buy pineapple. I like it, and it costs more than bananas. I guess pineapple for my breakfast is me being another fat cat enjoying my gravy train life as a gentleman debtor.

I mean, Yppej is really acting absurdly here. But she is in so deep she can't back out.

We'd all forgive her if she was just like: "Okay, I was in a bad mood for a few days. Sorry I went berserk over something like the Public Service Loan Forgiveness."

You should go to Poland. It is beautiful. Kraków is my favorite city. We went the first time for my son’s wedding and are hooked. For a lot of years our vacation consisted of driving cross country to visit friends and family. There were 5 of us. We saved for 2 years to take them to DC for a week. As soon as they grew up I started taking real vacations as I had a close friend die young and it really hit home that life can be short. I think nothing short of a public flogging or you winning the lottery at this point will help. I bet you don’t play it because it is a waste of money

Yppej
    We saved for 2 years
    Great approach.

You should go to Poland. It is beautiful. Kraków is my favorite city. We went the first time for my son’s wedding and are hooked. For a lot of years our vacation consisted of driving cross country to visit friends and family. There were 5 of us. We saved for 2 years to take them to DC for a week. As soon as they grew up I started taking real vacations as I had a close friend die young and it really hit home that life can be short. I think nothing short of a public flogging or you winning the lottery at this point will help. I bet you don’t play it because it is a waste of money
    I don't gamble at all. I am an L-7 square!

Good to know about Poland. I wonder if I could make it a twofer and go on a little side trip to a neighboring country...

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Great approach.
    I did not save for my trips. My paychecks are so huge I can just get up and go when I like.

Prague is close by and I heard it is prettier than Kraków.

Thread Information