Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: White men

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why is it necessary to put everything into a racial context? Isn’t it enough to say some people are jackholes and leave it at that?
    I am glad you asked!

I think some people's jackhole-ness is motivated by racism, a particular ideology.

So the racial part of it makes it more specific. It is a way of making descriptions more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What is gained by attributing traits to groups rather than individuals?
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You can use the "q" word, I think.
    The use of the word "queer" has evolved considerably since the days of my youth. It is no longer necessarily pejorative. As a word which is being reclaimed/repurposed, its meaning may be confusing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am glad you asked!

I think some people's jackhole-ness is motivated by racism, a particular ideology.

So the racial part of it makes it more specific. It is a way of making descriptions more accurate.

What do you mean?
    What I mean is that I see jackholosity as an individual rather than a group trait, It doesn't require race/gender/class overlays to explain it.

There are some few convinced, ideological bigots out there, but they are much more rare than than the common jerks of all races and genders.

Some people are rude on subways, although I have also seen gentlemen offering up their seats accused of microaggression. It does not follow from that that white men are rude on subways. It's akin to accusing malevolent witches for your crops failing.

Much of what we call political correctness seems to me to be a close cousin of the prejudice it decries. We don't need graduate studies programs to credential experts to tell us that people can behave badly or spitefully. We don't need a new pseudo-clergy to whom we must acknowledge the sanctity of victimhood, confess our privilege and expiate our sinful DNA.

My experience is that many TSA employees enjoy hassling people regardless of physical characteristics. You can take their actions any way you please but I think they might enjoy their little bit of power.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Once the accusation has been made, no amount of data, apology, contrition, self-criticism, confession, or wearing of the hairshirt will suffice to remove the stain.
    I have come to that conclusion as well, which is why it doesnt matter to me who accuses whom of racism.

So I travel often with my 5 lb dog to see my sons and she is very well behaved. I wear a sling that she rides in. So I smile at the TSA lady and she starts talking really nasty to me and this is in Chicago. She is older and black. I stayed nice but Cassie starts growling which is something she never does. I said I am sorry but Cassie is old with a lot of pain issues. She says no -she doesn’t like the way I am talking to you and then got nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So I travel often with my 5 lb dog to see my sons and she is very well behaved. I wear a sling that she rides in. So I smile at the TSA lady and she starts talking really nasty to me and this is in Chicago. She is older and black. I stayed nice but Cassie starts growling which is something she never does. I said I am sorry but Cassie is old with a lot of pain issues. She says no -she doesn’t like the way I am talking to you and then got nice.
    I like your anecdote: both Cassie and the TSA employee showed rare awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I’ll bet she had a little dog at home.

Jane, it was pretty amazing. I also don’t think it had anything to do about our race being different either. She was just having a bad day. I always try to be nice when I travel as it is hard enough on a good day. Unfortunately Cassie died of heart failure right after we got home from that trip. She was a one of a kind dog and I still miss her a year later.

IL, I had not even thought of that.

Thread Information